Found her stuck! Now what?

Jrbd82

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Central Texas
We’ve had a surge of casualties the last couple weeks bc of a hawk or something. Went through securing every best we could and trying to get all the birds back in the pen and coop before we leave if we aren’t going to be home at dusk.
We lost our favorite “sammie” to a hawk and the other night I put the flock to bed and as I was counting- another Sammie was missing. We looked all around the yard, in the crate, chicken jail , halfway house…. No where. Another hawk. Another loss.
This afternoon we are rounding up the birds as we will be gone at closing time and I found sammie stuck behind a crate. I gasped aloud- then noticed she was still alive…. After being there 3-4 days. Her wing was stiff and stuck upward- and her legs won’t work. I held her at the food and water (with electrolytes) for quite sometime and the wing became less stiff and laid down a bit. I think she may have a fracture/break though from the way she was stuck. We had to leave soon placed her in a way that she could eat and drink while we were gone. She drank quite a m bit and is eating fine but still cannot stand. Should we put her down or does she need time to regain strength or what should I do?

Seem to have had a lot of chicken/duck drama lately 😩

"Vitamins D when fed to broilers, is a very good tool in reducing lameness considerable in broilers. If Paralysis, Lameness occurs in your flock, remove the affected broiler chicken to a separate coop. Ensure he is placed in a very good condition to relieve him of any stress and to allow for rest."
I read this on the internet.

"Vitamins D when fed to broilers, is a very good tool in reducing lameness considerable in broilers. If Paralysis, Lameness occurs in your flock, remove the affected broiler chicken to a separate coop. Ensure he is placed in a very good condition to relieve him of any stress and to allow for rest."
I read this on the internet.
Thanks! But I don’t think she just became lame. I think it was due to being stuck between a crate and a wall for 3 -4 days. She is separated from the flock but I’m not sure if she is going to get better than she is

Can you take pictures of your injured bird? Is there any visible injury?

You could offer her some Wet Mash to get her eating, or scrambled eggs?

That is very sad. It can be hard when one gets stuck, and being without food or water, they can get injured and suffer. Try a chicken sling or chair to get her upright and in front of food and water. They can be easy to make. I would also add some Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml daily given orally. Here is a link for sling chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Can you take pictures of your injured bird? Is there any visible injury?

You could offer her some Wet Mash to get her eating, or scrambled eggs?
She’s eating and drinking absolutely fine! Since her wing same steps and then stuck in the position I was in her feet or curled I just assumed she was extremely dehydrated and about to die. Her wing loosened up but she still can’t stand

Hopefully she will come around with your TLC. I would try to keep her moving around several times a day. Put a small treat to try and get her to move toward. Let us know how she gets along, and I hope that she recovers.

She’s eating and drinking absolutely fine! Since her wing same steps and then stuck in the position I was in her feet or curled I just assumed she was extremely dehydrated and about to die. Her wing loosened up but she still can’t stand
Oh, okay, that's good.

Her lameness maybe just due to some malnutrition, from not having food for several days.

Back
Top Bottom