Found in nesting box

Sometimes tissue gets dislodged and goes through the body as if it were a egg. perhaps that's what happened here??

welcome-byc.gif

this is an article written by a friend of mine. it may help you along.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

it appears to be a shell-less egg, that has had the membrane broken.

her is her quote:
"10. Shell less eggs. A shell less consists of a yolk, albumen and membrane, but has no shell at all. The egg contents are protected by the outer membrane only. These are often seen in pullets coming into lay. Causes are:
- Immature shell gland (young layer);
- Nutritional deficiency, usually lack of calcium and vitamins E, B12 and D as well as phosphorous and selenium;
- Certain diseases, such as Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, egg drop syndrome;
- Exposure to very high temperatures and extremely high or low humidity levels;
- An infestation of internal or external parasites, such as worms, mites or lice;
- Stress prompting the hen to lay an egg prematurely, before the shell is formed;
- Egg laying while molting;
- Exposure to toxins, such as mold, fungi, bacteria."

sometimes they will also lay a shell-less egg if they have already laid an egg that day.

I agree that it's a soft egg shell that just deflated and a little dirty from being in the coop. Looks like someone needs more calcium in her diet. Ours have oyster shell 24/7 but we still get a soft one every now and then. Completely normal... if there is such a thing when referring to chickens, that is. :)

I have had a few soft shelled eggs (less the shell, just the membrane) over the past few years, but this is different. Inside it is stringy, almost like the consistency of cooked breast meat. Weird, I put it in the freezer for now (hope the wife doesn’t find it).

That is really weird. I'm not sure what that is. I got a wacky egg from my hen this past summer that looked kind of like that, but it wasn't the red orange. Maybe it was an odd egg that had a burst blood vessel in it? That is all that I can think of that it could be. Are all of your hens still acting normal?

I have a hen that hurt her leg a few weeks ago, I had to separate her from the rest for a week as they were being mean to her, anyway she didn't lay any eggs while separated. She is starting to be in the nesting boxes, don’t know if she is back to lying yet; I wonder if it came from her? If she stopped lying when injured, could that have left an undeveloped egg inside her that went bad & now she finally passed it?

Back
Top Bottom