Found injured hen in yard need advice

Morning update:

She slept well overnight. She pooped 2 more times and appears to be trying to poop again at times or laying an egg. I don't know the difference. My instinct has me wondering about the possibility of an egg because she can't have a lot in her system to poop after her 3 bms and she seems to be having more abdominal contractions/vent opening. She's turned herself in the kennel and raised up a few times. The paper bags lining the kennel gave no traction, so I've added a straw square of nesting material on one side and lined/anchored the other half of the kennel with non-slip drawer liner.

She was very thirsty and consumed at least 1/2 cup of water with electrolytes out of a measuring spoon and even some out of the cup anchored on the kennel walls. Offered her a soft scrambled egg with a little bit of cheese bits on it (her favorite treat). She feel asleep and didn't try eating. Every time I offer her a spoon of liquid, she eagerly drinks it. That's one thing she's willing to do consistently.

Her efforts to try to stand have resulted in toppling forward or to the side -- but she's stronger and more stable for sure than last night. It's not a huge improvement but more than I would have guessed. Grateful for advise and support. She's sleeping a lot and seems happy to see us (and grateful for liquids) when she's alert. I've embedded some photos. When she's awake, I work with her to eat and drink -- so she sleeping in the pictures I've taken. PS - no contact from the neighbors. I have no plans to make the next contact. They are probably assuming she died and have disconnected from feeling any responsibility.

Attachments

• IMG_6552.jpg
    IMG_6552.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6562 2.jpg
    IMG_6562 2.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6567.jpg
    IMG_6567.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    755.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 26
Looks like the injury is on her back. Was she bleeding there? I would cut some of the feathers around the wound so it would be easier to clean and apply the ointment. When my girl was injured, I cleaned her wounds with hydrogenperoxide and applied the triple antibiotic twice a day (morning and night). Sounds like she is doing great, and you've got a new member of the family. I would not give her back even if they asked! Thank you for loving her and taking such good care of her. And thank you for the updates. :love

Last edited:
Looks like the injury is on her back. Was she bleeding there? I would cut some of the feathers around the wound so it would be easier to clean and apply the ointment. When my girl was injured, I cleaned her wounds like hydrogenperoxide and applied the triple antibiotic twice a day (morning and night). Sounds like she is doing great, and you've got a new member of the family. I would not give her back even if they asked! Thank you for loving her and taking such good care of her. And thank you for the updates. :love
She was bleeding there (on her back) yesterday. I have no idea how to cut feathers or which ones to cut. I'm willing to do that if I need to, but I'm skittish about doing it with so little idea of what to do. My husband picked up some PetSilver wound spray -- I'll have that to use tonight along with the neoproxin. Her actual wounds look pretty good today. I'm more uneasy about her balance and legs. Hoping nothing is broken. Even with my concerns, she is moving more and better today than yesterday. I have also ordered some quality chicken feed to have here. After seeing the conditions at their "homeplace," I want to have something wholesome here to mix in with treats. I think they're having a harder time finding enough protein sources consistently now that winter is here. Best I can tell, the other neighbors are giving them scraps. I usually give them sunflower seeds, oatmeal, safe fruits and veggies, -- and occasionally a little cheese (their favorite). I falsely assumed they got real chicken food at home in the evening. While I cannot afford to feed this whole flock on our own, I can supplement with nutritious food this winter.

Here's my question for people who are true chicken owners/caregivers .... Is my thinking flawed? I feel like a person who buys chickens to take to their home -- with a master plan of allowing the chickens to free range without any fencing to keep the chickens on their own property all the time except at night ---- should at least have conversations with the people around them.

It is not completely clear whether they bought these chickens for eggs only or also meat. Maybe I am a softie on that point -- but I feel like there's a distinction there. If they are raising a free-range flock to have eggs, with their chickens drifting to neighbors (who are all WAY more attached to these cuties than the owners), that's not as bad as having neighbors feeding and caring for the chickens then turn around and harvest for dinner. In that case, I think the chickens should be more contained on their own property. Does that make sense? They know good and well that at least 5 families are in love with and attached to this flock. I don't mind feeding free-range chickens that are happy, healthy, and simply providing eggs to their "owners." When things get tough, it would be nice for them to step up and treat the chickens responsibly. I've taught the chickens how I expect them to act in our yard -- they have learned not poop on the porch and to come on the porch on if invited or during rain. It disturbs me these people seem entitled to the community feeding and caring for the chickens while they use and abuse them. Letting the injured rooster run around instead of isolating was a glaring example of abuse in my option. Seeing their "coop" it definitely felt like neglect to me. And not following up about this injured bird is just awful. I'm probably extra emotional having spent a day reflecting on the whole scenario and caring for Dumplin.

Evening update. The afternoon did not go well, and Dumplin passed away peacefully. My husband buried her under the trees in our backyard where she liked to play and look for snacks. We feel good knowing she was cared for and is peacefully at rest. I'm glad the neighbors didn't come for her last night. She was well cared for and loved until the very end. Several of the flock came around for a last round of snacks after she was buried. I am grateful to have found this board. You helped us through a tough 24 hours.

Evening update. The afternoon did not go well, and Dumplin passed away peacefully. My husband buried her under the trees in our backyard where she liked to play and look for snacks. We feel good knowing she was cared for and is peacefully at rest. I'm glad the neighbors didn't come for her last night. She was well cared for and loved until the very end. Several of the flock came around for a last round of snacks after she was buried. I am grateful to have found this board. You helped us through a tough 24 hours.
:hugs😢

I You did everything you could. Commend yourself for that.
We really did. She seemed to recognize us and was at peace the whole time we cared for her. My daughter slept beside her 'hospital' last night. We are comforted knowing she wasn't alone after the accident or cold last night. No word from the neighbors. My husband told me today that the wife's reaction was very telling when he stopped by to tell her yesterday. "Oh yes, I remember meeting your wife and daughter -- they've actually named those chickens." Yep, sure have. They come around "trick-or-treating" 4-6 times a day and respond to their names. They are smart and know exactly what they are allowed to do in our yard. They know where we have water bowls and food dishes for them and know I'll drop ice cubes in if it's hot. I'm a former middle school teacher. Bless those chickens for realizing I have an irresistible need to teach them manners. :)

We really did. She seemed to recognize us and was at peace the whole time we cared for her. My daughter slept beside her 'hospital' last night. We are comforted knowing she wasn't alone after the accident or cold last night. No word from the neighbors. My husband told me today that the wife's reaction was very telling when he stopped by to tell her yesterday. "Oh yes, I remember meeting your wife and daughter -- they've actually named those chickens." Yep, sure have. They come around "trick-or-treating" 4-6 times a day and respond to their names. They are smart and know exactly what they are allowed to do in our yard. They know where we have water bowls and food dishes for them and know I'll drop ice cubes in if it's hot. I'm a former middle school teacher. Bless those chickens for realizing I have an irresistible need to teach them manners. :)
You're a true angel. Thank you for your love and care for her in her last hours. I'm also glad she wasn't alone or abandoned.
You should consider getting your own flock :p. You'd clearly be a wonderful real (as opposed to adopted/defacto chicken neighbor aunt-type!) chicken mom! But in the mean time those birds will appreciate the chicken feed to got.
And we are always here if you need support! You have found a true community here :hugs

:hugsI'm very sorry to hear about Dumplin.

You did all you could for her and yes, she was very much cared for. Thank you for taking her in so she was not alone.
She knew you were there to help her, chickens know these things, believe me when I say that.

Back
Top Bottom