Found one of our babies--who survived an attack this past Sat

cgtara3

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Traverse City, MI
We had an attack on our birds this past Saturday, and thought that only one bird survived out of 8. Today, we were taking a walk to look for predator tracks on the land, and low and behold, I found one of our babies hiding under a shed, limping. We had a snowstorm this past week, and a cold snap--as it is northern MI. We are taking her to the vet to have her leg looked at, and hopefully she will survive. This has been extremely traumatic this past week. I am really hopeful that we have a somewhat happy ending...more than we have thus far. Our other bird is very lonely right now, living alone.

Does anyone know about setting chicken legs? Have you ever had anyone set your chicken's leg--or have they been culled in the end?

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of your girls. Hopefully the 2 will re unite and live happily ever after. I know nothing of leg setting. I do know they heal themselves very well most of the time. Does it look like it is broken?

You may be able to put it right and splint it with popsicle sticks or other, but with no experience and no one there to show you what to look for and how to set it correctly, you should probably see the vet if possible. If you can't maybe this will help you some

52356_33115_skeleton.jpg

If it's been almost a week, it seems that a fair amount of healing (albeit incorrect) might have already taken place.

I don't know. I am afraid to touch her, as she looks so uncomfortable. She is limping. I can't believe she is still alive. Maybe it is her foot that is injured as opposed to a break..I'm not sure. She still eats. I have her in a room with warmth, by herself with food and water.

Quote:
I would have to agree, but she was without food and water, and exposed to elements. It was freezing cold out here this week, with the temp dropping down to 5 degrees outside at night last night. We will see the vet today. That itself has been a problem--as few vets see chickens.

Last edited:
Here is an update to the bird "Tesla" who I found today. We took her to a vet. He found she had a broken pelvis and deep bite wounds in her backside. She must have been bitten down on and managed to escape. We had her put down, as it would be likely she would not survive. She already was necrotic in her wounds...meaning that the tissue was dying..and it was internal. We noticed a strange sickly smell when she defecated, which was not the usual chicken poop smell. That poor bird suffered that many days outside in the cold. She was developing peritonitis, which is painful. At least she is not suffering any longer. We feel sad about this. My spirits went up at finding a survivor, but now they crashed down again.
sad.png
Our next thing will be to find two friends--like we were originally planning on doing earlier today until I found our poor little survivor. So, at least she is not suffering any longer.

Awww what a sad series of events! I feel so bad for you! I know how hard it is to have to put a pet down, my 5 yr old chihuahua got hit by a car and we had to have him put down. It was heart wrenching, but at the same time like you said at least he isn't suffering anymore. I hope you find some new chicks to love soon!
hugs.gif

Thanks so much. It is much appreciated to hear from like-minded friends here. They were like kids to us. We are planning on getting more chicks this spring, and prior to that we have to find a couple of birdie buddies for Sweet-Pea our lone survivor. She is basically losing her mind it appears with loneliness. Today she was making clucking noises like the rooster does when he calls chickens to dine, but as nobody came, she lost it and started getting freaked out when I closed the coop door. She needs chicken friends.

Back
Top Bottom