Found Pigeon

ChickieTeacher

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
West Central Florida
My neighbor knocked on my door this afternoon and told me that he had one of my chickens in his yard. I checked the coop while my husband went to fetch the hen, and low and behold all four of my girls were there and hubs came back with this:

Definitely not one of my "chickens." Right now I've got her in a separate sectioned off portion of the yard. She's a fat girl (maybe a girl, I don't know?) and she has her wings clipped. She doesn't have a band on. What do I do with her if I cant' find her people? Will my chickens accept her? I've only got four bantams and she's about the same size as the smallest.

That's a very cute pigeon. It's a meat breed.. that's why its so fat and big! It looks like a show quality king pigeon, rather than one for eating though.. as its got that colour and shape to it.

I think someone got it new and clipped the wings to stop it flying away till it got used to its new home.. but they must not have clipped enough!

These breeds are very bad flyers as they are so heavy... so I bet the owner in very close to you.

You could put up a sign saying found pigeon... in the pet shop or local store or lamp post.. just say a domestic pigeon.. then when someone calls you up you can ask them what colour it is.. to make sure its really theirs.

If you can't find the owner, or want to keep it, then it should be OK with you bantams. Just keep a close eye on them for a few days. If you get more pigeons or want to breed them, then they have to be separate from the chickens otherwise the chickens eat the baby pigeons!!

I have my fancy pigeons living with my bantams.. roosters and hens with no problems. But I would not chance putting them in with the bigger standard sized chickens. And I always separate the pairs into their own cages for breeding.

It will eat the same feed as the chickens, and the grit, etc. It will also like mixed grains. The only extra thing you need for it is a plastic tray so it can have a bath a few times I week... they love to bath!

Keep us informed as to what happens.

No one has responded to my craigslist and facebook ads for a found pigeon so I guess she's mine now.

How do you sex pigeons?

My hens don't like her. She lost a couple of feathers and now she's got her own part of the yard and her own mini-coop (aka rabbit hutch). She seems pretty content, is eating and drinking well.

Pigeons are difficult to sex, especially without any other pigeons around. I'd try to find him/her a pal though - pigeons like company.

I know this is rather old, but are you sure it's a girl? I don't recall females having that much iridescence on their neck. If I had to guess by one picture, I would guess male.

Also, I just want to cringe and laugh at the well meaning neighbor. How is it that anyone doesn't know what a chicken looks like, let alone a pigeon? And not laugh at them in a mean spirited way, laugh because even if I have a big WUT??? over my head, I think that is completely adorable. Especially if the neighbor is an adult.

this is a pigeon hanging around a park for several days, no band, no other pigeons in sight, . I took it home, and fed the hungry pigeon( semi tame), I have him in a big outside flight pen now, and fixed an inside loft also. would love to find a white homer-friend for it. I live west of Atlanta. does anyone know what kind this is?

Hi Mary, long time no see. Don't know anything about pigeons, but just wanted to say hi. Hope you are doing well. Did you ever get any more silkies? I still have some from you. They were always my favorites. Take care. Martha

Back
Top Bottom