Found this poor baby this morning...not sure about breed

That's what I was thinking. I have him in a separate area. He not only has his own coop and cage but it's also behind a fence so my girls can wander all around their yard and still look at him but not get that close to him. Only time will tell if it will work out. If it doesn't I'll have to think of something else but I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving that little guy out in the cold snowy weather just to either freeze to death or get eaten by a fox or something. And I'll be honest I love my rooster but he's a bit of a sissy. He has been known to take off and fly over the fence when danger is around. So maybe a new rooster in town will either make him step up and be a man or maybe this rooster will decide to step up and be a man and protect the girls. I have 16 hens. Is that okay with two roosters? Will there be enough girls to go around if I can get the two of them to get along with each other?

I have 16 hens. Is that okay with two roosters? Will there be enough girls to go around if I can get the two of them to get along with each other?
You might be able to get by with 16 hens as some roosters are more gentle than others, but if you're going to keep 2 roosters, I would get 4 more hens as the recommended ration of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters can become very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their backs and necks, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them.

You might be able to get by with 16 hens as some roosters are more gentle than others, but if you're going to keep 2 roosters, I would get 4 more hens as the recommended ration of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters can become very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their backs and necks, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them.
X2

I'm sure he'll eventually find a place in your flock if you work him in.....I'm personally not of the mind to take in a stray freeloader, that was my thought process coming through in my post. I would not go through the time and effort, but each of us manages differently.

I read too quickly and miss where she said it was a male(plus photo was on my phone.) Now on tablet. Lol. Wow...comb and all. It's a boy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom