Four stray Roo's "appeared" in my yard this morning, need suggestions

chickentrey

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Tennessee
Hello all we are a little new here, although this site has been a great resource over the past year. OK here goes. We have a flock of a pair of EE"S, a pair of mutts, and four bantams. Two of the standard chickens are Roo's that dont get cooped up at night. The others all sleep in an A frame two "story" coop, and usually range all day. Well this AM as I was walking the dogs I heard a strange crow, and another. Well pretty soon I find FOUR Roo's coming down from roosts, two standard and two banty. There is a pasture by my house and they have spent most of the morning there after i ran them off(worried about them infecting my flock). So I have not let my girls out of the coop but am not sure what to do about this pack of Roo's. Any and all suggestions and or comments would be greatly appreciated

that is beginning to look like a good option to me also. They don't appear to be to old no spurs yet i don't think. Not sure about eating them cause i did not feed them(I know don't wanna know what the ones at the grocery have been fed). What do you think should i be concerned if i do go that route?

I agree dump Roos , invite them to dinner.
old.gif

If you are worried about thier health and You can lock them up separate for a week or two. I suspect Roos from an urban flock that couldn't be kept so got dumped. Do they look good or do they look unkempt??

Two of them are bantys, and they are beautiful. I suspect one is a black Dutch (white ears, yellow legs, all black), the other I am not sure of, he is solid black with a rose comb and almost black legs (any ideas?). They look quite healthy, I live in a sub urban area and this is what i suspect also. As for keeping them separate they are not that approachable and MY ladies are not appreciating the lack of ranging today!!!

Last edited:
Hate to do this but I think I am going to have to put them down. Little nervous about processing and eating though as I have no clue about what has gone into them. Is that silly?
sad.png

Is there any chance you can isolate them and run a quick ad on Craigslist? It only takes a few minutes to post an ad, and the owners may not be the one's who dumped the roos. Perhaps a disgruntled neighbor? I know this is grasping at straws, but the owner may be genuinely missing two pets. In the end, you must do what you think is best. It's no fun to have problems dumped on you like this. Good luck:cool:

Back
Top Bottom