Four week old EE- could this still be a lady?

murphrandir

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
We got this Easter Egger from Meyer hatchery four weeks ago, supposedly vent sexed female. We had another Easter Egger hatched 4/17, but it was indeed a rooster. It started growing at five weeks. This EE is not so macho- no bullying, no crowing, no squaring up, terrified of me- but it reminds me so much of it. It’s larger than the others from that hatch date and I feel like its legs are huge. Of course it’s the only EE in my brooder so there’s nobody really to compare it to. What do you think? Too early? Could it still be a girl?

Attachments

• IMG_4538.jpeg
    IMG_4538.jpeg
    790.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4541.jpeg
    IMG_4541.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4543.jpeg
    IMG_4543.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 31
We got this Easter Egger from Meyer hatchery four weeks ago, supposedly vent sexed female. We had another Easter Egger hatched 4/17, but it was indeed a rooster. It started growing at five weeks. This EE is not so macho- no bullying, no crowing, no squaring up, terrified of me- but it reminds me so much of it. It’s larger than the others from that hatch date and I feel like its legs are huge. Of course it’s the only EE in my brooder so there’s nobody really to compare it to. What do you think? Too early? Could it still be a girl?
I think it still might be a little too early to tell, but so far, I can't really see any signs of the bird being a male. Maybe send a picture of the chicken at 6 weeks, then its gender could be obvious.

I have a roo from Meyer that isn't crowing yet but the feathers and comb have given him away. Hatched April 18th.

Vent sexing is never 100% accurate, so there is the chance this could be a cockerel. Its coloring seems to point to that. But it is too early to be sure. 6 weeks is a good time to start determining gender unless it becomes obvious by the presence of a large, red comb earlier.

Back
Top Bottom