Fourth day not eating or drinking, can't stand up

mschickiemama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2011
11 year old hen. Started with a crop problem (not emptying, squishy). She's never had crop issues. Used meds from avian vet and she perked up a little. Would still eat people food, no chicken feed. Crop improved somewhat.

Since Thursday she stopped eating or drinking (unless I force beak in water dish) and could no longer stand up. Also started having a head twitch (head slowly rises then falls over and over like she's getting awakened or something). Eyes remain open a lot of the time. Still poops (liquidy, green and white). Feathers messy back there

She's still alert, knows my voice, sees me. Sits up on hocks occasionally. But it's hard seeing her like this. I'm in the dark about what's going on.

If it's just old age getting to her would she be gone by now?

Told the vet what's going on and she didn't seem interested in doing tests. She just said keep using crop meds but Im suspecting the crop thing was just a symptom. Might try someone else

She's my last hen and I'm pretty attached. :/
Screenshot_20210613_122039.png

Last edited:
I have experience with very old hens. Three of the four who were eleven to thirteen died since winter. They do seem to pick up health issues as they age, but keep on living a pretty good life in spite of them. Until they simply can't overcome any more. My twelve-year old died last week and I needed to help her out. It amazing how tenaciously they will insist on clinging to life.

So, expect these things to crop up. Yes, crop issues can be one of them. Stuck eggs are another because some just seem to have the need to show they can still do it.

When a health issue hits, it can rob the appetite, and the hen gets weak, and then they may end up too weak to eat. So I begin by giving them sugar water. That often perks them up so they feel like trying to eat which gives them more strength. Then that often gets them past that health issue.

So give the sugar water a try. Then if she seems stronger and more alert, offer some boiled egg. Be sure to make grit available as lack of grit due to not being able to go out and scratch around for it can contribute to crop issues.

I have experience with very old hens. Three of the four who were eleven to thirteen died since winter. They do seem to pick up health issues as they age, but keep on living a pretty good life in spite of them. Until they simply can't overcome any more. My twelve-year old died last week and I needed to help her out. It amazing how tenaciously they will insist on clinging to life.

So, expect these things to crop up. Yes, crop issues can be one of them. Stuck eggs are another because some just seem to have the need to show they can still do it.

When a health issue hits, it can rob the appetite, and the hen gets weak, and then they may end up too weak to eat. So I begin by giving them sugar water. That often perks them up so they feel like trying to eat which gives them more strength. Then that often gets them past that health issue.

So give the sugar water a try. Then if she seems stronger and more alert, offer some boiled egg. Be sure to make grit available as lack of grit due to not being able to go out and scratch around for it can contribute to crop issues.
How much sugar do you use? I have tried offering electrolytes and Nutri-Drench.

I offered her food today and I noticed she pretends to eat but doesn't really eat. She pecks the air or brushes the food off the plate with her beak

I have a mostly blind thirteen-year old hen and that the way she eats. It's a "hunt and peck" strategy whereby she keeps stabbing at the food, sometimes raking it toward her, in hopes that she will eventually hit some food.

I have a mostly blind thirteen-year old hen and that the way she eats. It's a "hunt and peck" strategy whereby she keeps stabbing at the food, sometimes raking it toward her, in hopes that she will eventually hit some food.
Wow that's amazing. I don't think mine is blind.

Back
Top Bottom