Fourth failed hatch...what to do? *Dry Incubation Progress*

I'm keeping a watch on the air cells but I do have an untrained eye for that so its going to be a learning experience for sure! I'm going off of a picture that was in a link posted on this thread somewhere. It shows a diagram of how the air pocket should look on days 7, 12, and 18 I think. Tomorrow is my day to candle again so I'm going to try to get some pictures to post. Will definitely keep updating!!

I tryed the dry incubation method and I didn't have any chicks hatch. I went back to the normal way, with the humidity and I've had 100% hatch rates.

If you live in a super dry area like I do you aren't going to be able to dry hatch.

~Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I tryed the dry incubation method and I didn't have any chicks hatch. I went back to the normal way, with the humidity and I've had 100% hatch rates.

If you live in a super dry area like I do you aren't going to be able to dry hatch.

~Aspen

I guess it depends on where you live. I live in the North East US and I get about 70% humidity normally in each room. In my incubator the humidity is usually between 25 and 40 without adding any water. If I add water it goes above 50%. Wish it was dryer here. lol​

I am in N. CA and so far more of my eggs have made it to lockdown using dry incubation. Previously I put them into lock down and could not see movement. This time I see them being much more active. I think they did not loose enough weight before thus inhibiting their movement.

EM Silkie, I had a lot of problems in the beginning, the only advice that I haven't seen anyone give you is to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH THE INCUBATOR. That is the only advice that worked for me. They test those incubators and the instructions work try it. I went from hatching only one chick to having between 50 to 100% rate, depending on whether it was my own eggs or someone else's.
Give it a go. I you don't have them you can go on the Hovabator web page and get it.
Good Luck Michele

I started my last batch out with 60% humidity for approximately 3 days, now I have it lowered to 35%. Will the initial high humidity affect anything?

Quote:
I guess it depends on where you live. I live in the North East US and I get about 70% humidity normally in each room. In my incubator the humidity is usually between 25 and 40 without adding any water. If I add water it goes above 50%. Wish it was dryer here. lol

Yes, if I lived in a more humid area dry incubation would probably work, but here they just dry out in their eggs.

~Aspen

Dry incubation will change your entire view of incubating!!! It's wonderful. If you have any questions, pm me. Also, check out my page. It has a cheat sheet that a BYC member made. I use something similar when I incubate. It really works. If I do it precisely, 92-100% hatch rate.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
You maybe just fine as it was only 3 days. When I dry incubated, the RH fluctuated with the ambient RH changes.

Do check the air cells for proper growth. Look back in this thread for the link. Well worth it. THe air cell size compared to what it should be for a specific day of incubation will tell you to increase the humidity or reduce it a bit. PM me if this doesn't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom