Fowl Pox long term prognosis

5Leepy!

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Austin, TX
Hello there! I'm getting mixed information on Fowl Pox and the long term effects of it so I'm wondering if anyone experienced with it could help me out. We have two pullets who are showing definite signs of Fowl Pox and, hindsight being 20/20, know now that 2 of our Hens had it a couple of months ago. No one is laying eggs right now but they are also all moulting so we weren't alarmed. I'm wondering if having Fowl Pox hurts their egg production only while they're recovering or if it's long term. Also wondering if we should vaccinate other pullets/Hens or just let them get it and recover. It seems this is a common virus so maybe let it run it's course? (Part of what I've heard is that it ruins their ability to ever lay eggs? is my flock ruined?)

Thanks for any help at all,
5Leepy!

I'm sorry I don't have the experience to answer your questions. You could type "fowl pox" in the Google custom search box at the top of this thread and see what comes up.

Rumor not true, they will recover and lay again. Let it run it`s course at this time of year. Pox is transmitted by mosquitoes and the season should be ebbing. If you have an outbreak in early summer, then vaccinate........Pop

They will be absolutely fine with no slow down of laying. Dry fowl pox is a nuisance illness, but usually not anything more. Your birds will look rough for about 3 weeks and then the disease will pass. Your birds will have a type of partial immunity to the virus in the future meaning that they can still get it, but it will not be as severe. Flocks in high risk areas (heavy mosquito populations) are sometimes vaccinated to prevent the disease. Vaccination is very easy, but vaccines are often packaged and sold in large quantities, so it may not be feasible to vaccinate small flocks unless you want to buy enough to do a hundred birds and waste what you don't use.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Quote:
Very true. It`s been several years since I needed to vaccinate, but if I remember right, the vaccine was cheap, as in under $10 for at least 100 doses, maybe 500. Wouldn`t even bother for dry pox, but the wet pox would make it worthwhile......Pop

Back
Top Bottom