Fowl pox or peck wound?

Pics
At some point, when you know you've done all you can, you need to stop messing with it and let it rest.

You might try dabbing a little cortisone cream on the swollen tissue, careful not to get it in her eye. Other than that, try to leave it to heal.

Just wanted to give an update. I’ve still been treating the little one. I finally feel like I made progress tonight. When I came home she had blood over her eyelid from where she’s been scratching. Washed her face and eye out good with saline and did a warm compress. After the compress I was finally able to rock some puss out from inside of her eyelid. I’ve been trying to squeeze it out every night to no avail. I was able to put the qtip on the inside of her eyelid pressing towards the puss as I put pressure on the outside of her eyelid. It took some time and I THINK I got it all out. I really hope I did. The puss was very think and there were pockets that almost tunneled in certain places. I washed it out good with saline once I was done and packed it with terramycin. I really hope this is the turning point for her.

During all of this she has not stopped eating, she hasn’t lost weight, she still has been able to see out of the bad eye. So hopefully now she will be on the mend.

Obligatory pics.

21DEAD25-4DD9-4BF3-8239-127180DB5867.jpeg
D3070A1F-461C-4C31-971F-011BFFFF6338.jpeg
69EF75A2-D728-4C7C-9B64-B855C43B6EED.jpeg
E4D11754-693C-4601-8581-639B45A72C7F.jpeg

I've never used colloidal silver, but have known people who swear by it. Here on BYC, from time to time someone will recommend it. I'm open to anything that might work to heal a sick or injured chicken, so I hunted for a scientific study on colloidal silver efficacy on bacteria. Found this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7167925/

Not too many people find scientific papers riveting reading so permit me to summarize. Colloidal silver particles do have certain abilities to affect the cell walls of bacteria, affecting some (gram negative) while being mostly ineffective on others (gram positive), this latter having tough thick walls.

If colloidal silver happens to work on some infections it's because it's a type of bacterium that has weak cell walls. To know what bacteria you are targeting with colloidal silver you would need to have a culture swab identified in a lab ($100) to find out what bacteria your chicken has. Then you might have some success in treating it if it turns out to be a type that is weakened by the silver.

Most of us do not have the means or availability of having a culture done whenever a chicken goes sick, so we want a treatment that has a good chance of working on whatever bacterium happens to be ravaging the chicken. So we select a broad spectrum antibiotic that has a high chance of doing enough damage to either gram positive or gram negative bacteria so that our chicken or duck will recover.
For what it's worth I never use antibiotics on anything or anyone, of any species and haven't for almost 20 years. I make my own silver with the SilverGen Auto 6 generator and it's made over 600 gallon to date since 2009. I use it as a preventative and as treatment for every imaginable situation. It's crucial for burns, eyes, pretty much all internal conditions, all wounds, and the like. There is a lot of marketing nonsense around silver and many very poor products out there, but do note that for a long time hospitals have used it in not just bandages and the burn unit, but also more recently panels infused with silver to cut down on MRSA and other conditions. There is no need to take a culture of anything to use silver regardless of the gram positive or gram negative bacteria claims. I've never had it fail in 20 yrs. It also helps regrow bone, as Dr Robert O. Becker accidentally found out 30 yrs ago. The proof is in the pudding, not the papers.

For what it's worth I never use antibiotics on anything or anyone, of any species and haven't for almost 20 years. I make my own silver with the SilverGen Auto 6 generator and it's made over 600 gallon to date since 2009. I use it as a preventative and as treatment for every imaginable situation. It's crucial for burns, eyes, pretty much all internal conditions, all wounds, and the like. There is a lot of marketing nonsense around silver and many very poor products out there, but do note that for a long time hospitals have used it in not just bandages and the burn unit, but also more recently panels infused with silver to cut down on MRSA and other conditions. There is no need to take a culture of anything to use silver regardless of the gram positive or gram negative bacteria claims. I've never had it fail in 20 yrs. It also helps regrow bone, as Dr Robert O. Becker accidentally found out 30 yrs ago. The proof is in the pudding, not the papers.
This is interesting. Do you use it internally as well?

Has anyone tried povidone iodine with saline for eye infection? That's what I've use for humans (25 drops saline and 1 drop povidone). Wondering if that would work for chickens too?

This is interesting. Do you use it internally as well?
Yes, Ruby, that's my most often way used and topically just as the need arises such as burns, cuts, bites, "infections" , etc. As well, if I am using topically, I always also use internally so it's a systemic treatment. If an animal, (or person), has an eye issue, for instance, not only would I put a couple of drops in the eye several times a day, depending on severity, I would also use it internally once to several times per day, again depending on severity. If a small animal I use a dropper in addition to adding to drinking water. There hasn't been a thing that I haven'tsuccessfully treated with silver over the years that most would swear need some sort of antibiotic or other pharmaceutical. I can attest to the fact that this is not unusual, either, and there are many, many who have had the same results.

Please note before you dump povadone iodine in your chickens' eyes. It stings like crazy. I know this from my own experience when I accidentally put it in my eyes thinking it was a bottle of saline since they were in similar containers.

It's not dangerous, but when iodine is used in the eyes, it's common procedure to use a pain killer in the eyes first. Pain killers are toxic to chickens, so this isn't possible.

Back
Top Bottom