Fowl pox or peck wound?

Do you have a vet for other pets? One that is a friendly helpful sort? These steroid eye drops are a huge help in reducing inflammation and swelling around the eye. But it requires a prescription from a vet to order. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/neo-poly-dex-ophthalmic-suspension-5-ml/406366/

I've used this med successfully to treat swollen and infected sinuses in my chickens.

I do have a vet for my dogs, however he refuses to do anything with chickens. He even refuses to do a fecal float. When I was having an issue with some a few months back we called all the vets in the area and no one will see chickens or even do a fecal float for us.

What @$$hol&$ If they were dealing with me, they'd have a "situation". I don't suffer that kind of block-headedness without creating a major scene.

The way I convinced my vet to help me out with fecal tests and prescription drugs is I reassured him he wouldn't have to see or treat my chickens, that I assume all responsibility. He has enough cows, horses, llamas, cats and dogs to keep him and his assistant busy literally 24/7. He's more than happy not to have to bother with chickens on top of all the rest.

My husbands family has been going to our vet as long as my husband can remember. Our vet is up and age and only works part time and to be quite honest I really don’t think he wants to deal with it. It’s only him and one vet tech. Everyone else we have called won’t even give us the time a day so I really feel like this forum is really the only source of help I can get. I know the people on the forum are not vets, but I also know there are alot of knowledgeable people on here. While I may not get an accurate answer on what may be going on with my birds it’s a starting point and something for me to try rather than do nothing.

So I have a 13 week on D’anver who started a couple weeks ago with a bump on her eye. I thought she at have gotten pecked and that it would heal. The bump has gotten worse and now has scabs and almost looks like bumps on top of bumps. I had one other D’anver who had a small bump on her bottom eyelid too but it has since went away. She acts like nothing is bothering her, eats, drinks, runs around etc. not acting off in anyway. For the past few days I have been putting ointment on it to see if it will help. At this point I still don’t know what I’m dealing with. I have left her with the flock. I have not noticed anyone pecking at it. I have watched her scratch it.

Anyone have any suggestions or input. I have attached.

The first couple pics is what it looked like when I first noticed it. (She’s the bird up front. It’s on the left eye looking at her). View attachment 3344724View attachment 3344725

Next pic is a couple days ago after applying the terramycin.View attachment 3344726

Last couple pics is what it looks like tonight.
View attachment 3344727View attachment 3344728

She still need her eyes open doesn’t close it unless I start messing with it.

Edit to add. A couple days ago I did notice it looks like another bump is starting further down on her eyelid. I can only see it when the eye is closed. It looked bigger tonight than it did a couple days ago.
I personally don’t have any experience with pox, but my chickens all got sick recently when I decided to buy a few hens from a hatchery. One of my bird’s eye was crusted shut so I started putting a drop of Collidal silver, 250 ppm directly in her eye, it cleared up almost overnight. I don’t know what everybody thinks of c-silver but it’s saved my flock from the respiratory issues and whatever virus they contracted. The respiratory part took almost 2 weeks to resolve. I treated them twice a day, but in retrospect I would say don’t overdo it. collidal silver is supposed to be a natural antibiotic you can get it on Amazon. It does come in different strengths, but I felt the 250 ppm was the best. I even dropped a few drops in their nasal cavities, so it would go down their throat. This is just my personal experience, but I would do anything to save my chickens. Probiotics are a must too! Good luck!

I personally don’t have any experience with pox, but my chickens all got sick recently when I decided to buy a few hens from a hatchery. One of my bird’s eye was crusted shut so I started putting a drop of Collidal silver, 250 ppm directly in her eye, it cleared up almost overnight. I don’t know what everybody thinks of c-silver but it’s saved my flock from the respiratory issues and whatever virus they contracted. The respiratory part took almost 2 weeks to resolve. I treated them twice a day, but in retrospect I would say don’t overdo it. collidal silver is supposed to be a natural antibiotic you can get it on Amazon. It does come in different strengths, but I felt the 250 ppm was the best. I even dropped a few drops in their nasal cavities, so it would go down their throat. This is just my personal experience, but I would do anything to save my chickens. Probiotics are a must too! Good luck!
I've never used colloidal silver, but have known people who swear by it. Here on BYC, from time to time someone will recommend it. I'm open to anything that might work to heal a sick or injured chicken, so I hunted for a scientific study on colloidal silver efficacy on bacteria. Found this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7167925/

Not too many people find scientific papers riveting reading so permit me to summarize. Colloidal silver particles do have certain abilities to affect the cell walls of bacteria, affecting some (gram negative) while being mostly ineffective on others (gram positive), this latter having tough thick walls.

If colloidal silver happens to work on some infections it's because it's a type of bacterium that has weak cell walls. To know what bacteria you are targeting with colloidal silver you would need to have a culture swab identified in a lab ($100) to find out what bacteria your chicken has. Then you might have some success in treating it if it turns out to be a type that is weakened by the silver.

Most of us do not have the means or availability of having a culture done whenever a chicken goes sick, so we want a treatment that has a good chance of working on whatever bacterium happens to be ravaging the chicken. So we select a broad spectrum antibiotic that has a high chance of doing enough damage to either gram positive or gram negative bacteria so that our chicken or duck will recover.

her eye looks a little better tonight. She knocked another scab on the top of her eyelid off. I really can’t tell if the swelling has gone down any but part of me thinks it has some. She had a little bit of goo in her eye again. You can see if I’m the corner of her eye in the first pic. Washed it out with eye washed and used a qtip and got it out. Looking back at pics it looks a lot better imo than it did when I posted the initial pic.

Herr are tonight’s pics.
EA2F3B96-C5E2-4F72-B670-38DFE661F9BC.jpeg
4419835B-7429-475B-9F5B-DCBE5A57E99C.jpeg

Tonight her eye looks about the same. I can’t tell if the swelling is down any or not. My husband thinks it’s down some towards the front of her eye but I really can’t tell. The bump on the front has turned dark today, hopefully in the next day or 2 it will have fallen off. The white inside of her eyelid looks like it wants to lift. Not sure how to go about getting it out. Any time I try to mess with her eye she wants to wiggle around and play wack a mole even wrapped in a towel. I’ve tried to massage it from the outside the best I could. I don’t have any updated pics, I’ll try to post some up tomorrow of how she’s looking. Hopefully tomorrow when she gets up there will be a good improvement.

Swelling doesn’t appear to really gone down any, she still keeps her bad eye open for the most part unless we are leasing with it. Top of her eyelid looks soooo much better. Im concerned with the swelling though. Still doing terramycin in her eye twice a day. The scab on the bottom of her eyelid was getting bigger so my husband removed it. Tonight started day 7 of ammoxy. I’ve observed her scratching her eye a lot. Not sure if that’s contributing to the swelling or not. I’ve read that fowl pox itch so if this is fowl pox I understand why she’s scratching. I really don’t know what to do about the swelling. I tried to do warm compresses again tonight and squeeze but I cannot get anything. Here’s pics from tonight after soaking and pulling the scab off.

I tried to take a pic inside of her eyelid too but don’t know if anything can be made out in the pic or not.

I should also mention she has no puss over her eye still. Eye looks completely normal.

A0A60738-741B-478D-9358-0608D702E8EE.jpeg
967A0BCE-9BEA-420F-BE6E-041A13E40002.jpeg
552AFE7B-7FC3-49AE-A4DA-25E523F7FB1F.jpeg
E2D4FC4B-AF5E-4BF8-9D04-D250F11FCE04.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom