Fowl pox or peck wound?

This morning her eye was shut. Not sure did that’s from drainage over night or what. I gave her the next amox dosage. We did the warm compress and was able to get her eye back open. The big scab that she has on the edge of her eyelid is lifting in the front. The white stuff on the inside of her eye (I’m getting pretty confident it’s puss) appears to partially want to go with it. I couldn’t really get it to go any further so I started trying to see if I can get it to lift from the back. She started to bleed a little bit so I stopped. I went back to the warm compress and washed her eye out with a eye wash solution we had at the house. I smothered her eye with ointment and put her back in the crate.

My husband is going to work with her some today with the compressed and ointment. Tonight I’ll try to work on the scabs a little bit more.

The white matter starting to resemble pus is a good thing, much easier to control than a tumor.

You are doing a great job. Make sure to stay diligent with the soaks before you try to express any drainage. Hopefully if you are dealing with solid pus and it is attached to the scab, getting the scab off will cause the lump to drain or even come out attached to the scab.

Her eye seems a little better this evening imo, I could just be optimistic. My husband wasn’t able to do the compresses and ointment for me due to some thing coming up. When I got home from work she had removed the big top scan herself. Her eye had some dried blood where it looked like it bled some. The chunk of white that was attached appears to of come off with it. When I pull her eyelid back I still see some white down at the bottom of her eyelid but it doesn’t look like puss at this point just discolored.

Attached are pics from tonight the first pic is the before cleaning, second pic is after cleaning and the compress and a close up of it, last pic is from yesterday just for comparison sake.

58396939-DB58-49CD-AC21-5C24888DC480.jpeg
3A0CCD99-EE9A-4E31-B61D-798804303045.jpeg
67A95AA0-CC1C-46D0-AEAF-5DFA888B0AE7.jpeg
0AC67175-8803-4253-82DB-843EE57CAF4E.jpeg
67A95AA0-CC1C-46D0-AEAF-5DFA888B0AE7.jpeg

Last edited:
YAY! I'm so glad to hear that she is making progress. Keep up the warm soaks and antibiotics, both salve and oral. You could also give her a half of a baby aspirin for pain if you wanted to. She has a way to go yet but I think somebody finally paid the man who turns on the light at the end of the tunnel!

At least you know now what you are dealing with.

I’m reluctant to say it looks better but in my opinion it does and my husband thought to too. I’m glad the big scab came off. I really hope it continues to get better.

So you think that it could be fowl pox I’m dealing with? She’s been isolated now in her cage for a couple days. Still haven’t noticed anyone else showing symptoms.

So morning update. She was awake and chirpy when I went to get her this morning. She finished up day 3 of the amoxicillin. Her eye doesn’t look much different imo. When I grabbed her she had white in the corner of her eye. I washed her eye with saline and used a qtip to get it out. It was really gooey. Not sure if it’s from the infection or if it’s from dust getting in the ointment.

Back
Top Bottom