Fowl Pox side effects?

Aunt ruth

TheSpeckledBlonde
Sep 25, 2013
The South
Hello everyone!

I'm a novice chicken owner and I need a little advice from some of you experienced chicken owners.
I have three little bantam hens(My 4H project) that are currently fighting off dry fowl pox. One of them has already gotten the worst of it and another is just starting to develop the lesions. My third hen is a bearded D'uccle and she doesn't have any lesions yet, but one of her eyes is swollen and foamy. I first noticed the bubbles the day after she got some Nutri-drench vitamins in that same eye. I have read that some people had foamy-eyed chickens while the fowl pox was going around and I was wondering if her eye is just a symptom of that and I should leave it alone or if she has some kind of infection going on and needs an antibiotic.

Also they all have had a slight sneeze for several months. When I first noticed it I gave them some sort of yellow antibiotic powder a friend gave me to try and it didn't clear up after a few weeks so I took them off of it. They have been eating and drinking normally but I have noticed that their poo is greenish and foamy (from the vitamins maybe?).

Any advice helps.

Thanks

It sounds more like a respiratory disease in the d'uccle, maybe the dry fowl pox has lowered her resistance to infections. The yellow powder you used before sounds like Duramycin. I would give them some Tylan 50 by mouth or as a shot for 3-5 days, 5, if using orally. Look into their mouths for any yellow or white gunk, and watch all of their eyes for involvement of the pox. Wet fowl pox is very dangerous. Here is some reading: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Last edited:
It sounds like you might be experiencing more than Fowl Pox. The sneezing and bubbly eyes make me think that your birds might have a respiratory disease, especially the D'Uccle. The yellow powder that you used before sounds like it was an oxytetracycline powder like Duramycin, or Tetroxy HCA-280. These antibiotics aren't the strongest, so I'd get some Tylan50. This antibiotic is great for respiratory diseases, and should be pretty easy to find. I recommend giving it as an injection, in which case you'll need some 20-22gauge needles and small syringes. Give 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams, given once daily injected into the breast muscle for five days.

Its likely that your bird has a respiratory disease because her immune system has been weakened by the Fowl Pox. Antibiotics should help the respiratory disease if its caused by a bacteria, but the disease could be viral, in which case antibiotics will not help.

It's possible that your bird has wet pox, too. I have several birds with one or both forms of it. It's also possible that you bird has developed a secondary infection. Have you checked inside their mouths for pus and plaque?

-Kathy

FWIW, some of mine with wet pox also have bubbles and sneezes and a few have lost their eyes. Baytril is what I have been giving the ones with wet pox.

-Kathy

I Think I will try the Tylan 50. I have been watching then closely for wet pox and I have seen no signs of any of them having difficulty eating or breathing.

Here is a picture of the eye.

Also the little one that had fowl pox the worst is acting healthier now but she has a raspy squawk when I opened her mouth and in one corner of her mouth she had some yellowish crusty looking stuff . Is this wet pox? If so is there anything I can do for her?

Last edited:
Also the little one that had fowl pox the worst is acting healthier now but she has a raspy squawk when I opened her mouth and in one corner of her mouth she had some yellowish crusty looking stuff . Is this wet pox? If so is there anything I can do for her?
Wet fowl pox is when there are yellow lesions inside the beak and throat. Since she has yellow crust in the corner I would watch her mouth every day. It could even be in her airway farther down. Sometimes they need to be removed if they are affecting breathing. I'm glad you are starting antibiotics. I have a little Mille fleur just like her--they are sweet. Casportpony has been dealing with some horrible cases of wet fowl pox lately. She may offer more help.

Back
Top Bottom