Fowl pox treatments? WARNING: GROSS PICS

campingshaws

Enabler
7 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Southwest Louisiana
ETA: do I really put neosporin IN their eyes and iodine IN their mouths?

Hen #1

Hen #2

My first aid kit:

Background:
My rooster was patient zero for fowl pox. He seems to be on the upswing. Hen #2 was the second case, she now has wet pox; her immune system was compromised by a lice infestation and severe coccidiosis (it was touch and go there for a bit). Hen #1 also had the lice infestation and moderate coccidiosis.

Originally only the adults were affected, but now my pullets have lesions. I'll inspect them shortly.

I was discussing this on a social thread, but it was suggested that I start a new thread here.

Last edited:
Good to hear that she is eating for you. Hope she keeps it up. One concoction may chickens love is raw egg whisked in to a little buttermilk, and mixed with chicken feed or bread cubes.

Pullet #1: all clear

Pullet #2: dry and wet

Pullet #3: dry and wet

Pullet #4: dry

Pullet #5: dry, nasal discharge and wheezing

Pullet #6: dry

Pullet #7: nasal discharge, no apparent pox

Last edited:
This morning I drank a big cup of coffee and got to work. Caught the chickens one at a time and:

- took pictures
- drops of VetRX in the mouth
- rinsed gunky eyes with saline
- applied neosporin around eyes
- applied iodine on lesions

Tomorrow morning I'm going to weigh them. They all appear to be eating, but I don't know how much. They were all VERY reluctant to be caught and doctored, even those who are typically lap birds. They aren't acting sick at all.

I didn't treat the roo, who is impossible to catch and doing fine anyway, or four laying hens affected in a separate coop. They have small black spots on their combs but not raised lesions.

In answer to your first question, it is saline or eye wash followed by Neosporin, Terramycin, or Vetericyn in the eyes, then
iodine to the scabs. It's good they are eating. They are much easier to catch off the roost after dark to mess with. I use a geeky head lamp and turn on the red light where I can surprise them individually, do what I need to do, then put them back on the roost. Keep up the good work. Are you going to try some Tylan, Gallimycin, or oxytetracycline in their water? With the gunky eyes I would do it.

In answer to your first question, it is saline or eye wash followed by Neosporin, Terramycin, or Vetericyn in the eyes, then
iodine to the scabs.  It's good they are eating.  They are much easier to catch off the roost after dark to mess with.  I use a geeky head lamp and turn on the red light where I can surprise them individually, do what I need to do, then put them back on the roost.  Keep up the good work.  Are you going to try some Tylan, Gallimycin,  or oxytetracycline in their water?  With the gunky eyes I would do it.

Does adding tylan to the water do the same job as the injectable I hear about? I've never used tylan in any form, and I've never given an injection.

Does adding tylan to the water do the same job as the injectable I hear about? I've never used tylan in any form, and I've never given an injection.

The only Tylan you can put in the water is the soluble powder. Other than that it's injections or given orally. I researched this because I didn't want to give Tylan orally to over 20 birds one by one. I went with a different water soluble antibiotic instead of the injectable Tylan 50.

Tylan Soluble Powder is for the water, and it works well, as long as they are drinking well. Many people use the Tylan 50 both as a shot and given orally directly by mouth (not in water) but the injections get their quickest. In some illnesses such as respiratory diseases, chickens feel so poorly that they don't drink enough of the water, so that's where Tylan 50 is good to use as a shot or orally. Needles and syringes are required with Tylan 50. Tylan Powder is mixed 1 tsp of powder per gallon of water (and powder should always be added to the water, not the other way around) for 3-5 days. It is found in the cattle medicines of feed stores.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

Back
Top Bottom