Fowl pox treatments? WARNING: GROSS PICS

Only Pullet #4 actually has an eye that won't open. The rest were enjoying warm snuggles and/or bracing for meds in their faces.

Only Hen #3 has wet pox inside her mouth, one tiny patch.

This morning I gave drops of VetRX orally, then swabbed pox lesions with iodine. Several flaked off, so I think we're nearly done! :celebrate

Is this fowl pox? And what's the diff between wet and dry?

Is this fowl pox? And what's the diff between wet and dry?

Looks like it to me. The dry is just on the comb/face/wattles and the wet can produce disgusting growths in the mouth/throat. The dry kind is generally not fatal, but the wet can make them stop eating, and then they starve.

Someone please correct me if that's not totally correct.

Early on, back on the first page of this thread it says that hen#2 immune system was compromised by lice infestation and cocci, is that as a RESULT of the pox--or was that BEFORE the pox?
Are the chickens susceptible to anything else because of the pox, or did they get this as a result of something else?

Early on, back on the first page of this thread it says that hen#2 immune system was compromised by lice infestation and cocci, is that as a RESULT of the pox--or was that BEFORE the pox?
Are the chickens susceptible to anything else because of the pox, or did they get this as a result of something else?

The lice and cocci were BEFORE the pox. During the several weeks they have the virus they can get respiratory infections or other secondary complications because their immune systems are compromised.

They can only get it through direct contact or mosquitoes. Living on a river in southwest Louisiana I would have been better off vaccinating them, but I didn't know.

Only Pullet #4 actually has an eye that won't open. The rest were enjoying warm snuggles and/or bracing for meds in their faces.

Only Hen #3 has wet pox inside her mouth, one tiny patch.

This morning I gave drops of VetRX orally, then swabbed pox lesions with iodine. Several flaked off, so I think we're nearly done!
celebrate.gif
You have done a good job, and the photos really show the timeline of their illnesses. I hope they all soon recover.

I have finally caught this Seabright hen who showed up on my property a few weeks ago...she has decided to join my flock apparently. I am not sure if she is getting picked on by my normal and giant breed hens and rooster, or if she has fowl pox. Not only does she have what appears to be 'warts' on her face, her left ear is swollen (shown in the pic below). Her comb is very disfigured and bloody and scabby. Any help Dx it as pox or just wounds from being picked on? She doesn't roost in the coop with my chickens at all, but does eat in their yard and cruises around most of the day with them. So, I am worried she may spread it to my chickens (which aren't vaccinated against it). I do live in the country near flood irrigated cow pastures, so mosquitos are here, but NONE of my chickens have ever had this before....Thanks in advance for any help!!

I have finally caught this Seabright hen who showed up on my property a few weeks ago...she has decided to join my flock apparently. I am not sure if she is getting picked on by my normal and giant breed hens and rooster, or if she has fowl pox. Not only does she have what appears to be 'warts' on her face, her left ear is swollen (shown in the pic below). Her comb is very disfigured and bloody and scabby. Any help Dx it as pox or just wounds from being picked on? She doesn't roost in the coop with my chickens at all, but does eat in their yard and cruises around most of the day with them. So, I am worried she may spread it to my chickens (which aren't vaccinated against it). I do live in the country near flood irrigated cow pastures, so mosquitos are here, but NONE of my chickens have ever had this before....Thanks in advance for any help!!
Looks like pox to me. Definitely keep her isolated from the rest of the flock, especially if there are mosquitoes in your coop. Mosquitoes can spread it from her to your flock. You can put iodine on her comb/wattles to help dry it up, but be prepared for it to last several weeks. That will give you time to get to know each other better. ;) Edit: are there gross patches in her mouth? If so you'll need to make sure she's eating and drinking enough.

Last edited:
Pullet #2 opened her eye today! :celebrate

AND she's eating plain feed on her own! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

It's seriously been a week for either of those. Today she is chatty and alert. I think we're finally out of the woods.

@casportpony Kathy, my pullet #2 is eating and drinking on her own today. Should I keep tubing her? I can weigh her again in a bit. Also, when should I put her back out with the flock? I was thinking after five days of tylan (today is day three) if she's still eating and drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom