Fowl pox- what to do?

irradiatedsnakes

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2018
1695567124613.jpeg

Hi all,
it appears a few of my chickens have contracted fowl pox- Toad here has it the worst, while the rooster and at least one other hen have a couple of the bumps on their combs/wattles. We have two groups of birds, the group with the affected birds is a few years old and the others are less than a year, about the age to begin laying soon. The two groups are separated by a fence, so transmission is certainly possible. I can't yet inspect the mouths of the affected birds til they go to bed tonight, but they seem to be eating fine (all that white on her face is some tofu). What to do? I'm seeing around that vaccination in as-of-yet unaffected birds can be effective since the virus spreads slowly, but also that vaccines can only be given to young birds? Advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Pox is spread by mosquitoes, separating birds will not help. It's best to let it run its course and just offer supportive care. Then, they'll be immune.

Pox is spread by mosquitoes, separating birds will not help. It's best to let it run its course and just offer supportive care. Then, they'll be immune.
I should've clarified better, the birds were separated by age group, not because of pox. & Good to know, thank you.

There is a vaccine available if you live in a tropical climate where mosquitoes are especially bad. It is given at 8 weeks old, and 4 weeks before they start to lay eggs. Don’t give it to those already showing signs. I would probably not use it myself. Mosquitoes transmit fowl pox, but the fallen scabs can linger in the environment and be inhaled, causing possible infection for several months. Most chickens recover within a month or so. The wet form of pox which causes yellow lesions or plaques inside the beak and throat, is less likely, but more serious. Here is some reading:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

There is a vaccine available if you live in a tropical climate where mosquitoes are especially bad. It is given at 8 weeks old, and 4 weeks before they start to lay eggs. Don’t give it to those already showing signs. I would probably not use it myself. Mosquitoes transmit fowl pox, but the fallen scabs can linger in the environment and be inhaled, causing possible infection for several months. Most chickens recover within a month or so. The wet form of pox which causes yellow lesions or plaques inside the beak and throat, is less likely, but more serious. Here is some reading:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks
Noted, thanks. So, vaccines can only be given to chickens ages 8weeks-~20 weeks or so? I've seen references to giving adult chickens vaccines, but found no listings for vaccines not in this timeframe. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom