Fowl Pox

Myheartsezyes

Chirping
May 1, 2021
I just noticed this yesterday on my pet rooster who free ranges . He has been around my 4 week old chicks and my older hens that are in a coop .I will get the vaccine bit he did not have the black spots yesterday on the bottom.

Attachments

• C243F59F-827E-405C-81A3-6311CF6D4EE9.jpeg
    C243F59F-827E-405C-81A3-6311CF6D4EE9.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 10
  • E416FF58-5DD9-4F7D-A385-D722E8D0812A.jpeg
    E416FF58-5DD9-4F7D-A385-D722E8D0812A.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 3EE8BB4E-133C-4B9A-9D33-2C4B184AAE98.jpeg
    3EE8BB4E-133C-4B9A-9D33-2C4B184AAE98.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 3
It doesn't look like pox to me, more like an injury. Either from pecking or caught his comb on something, wire fencing etc. Pox starts out more like blisters, pale in the beginning and they dry up and scab over as it progresses. Pecking and injuries look like this, the dark is dried blood or scab. They usually heal up on their own just fine.

I just noticed this yesterday on my pet rooster who free ranges . He has been around my 4 week old chicks and my older hens that are in a coop .I will get the vaccine bit he did not have the black spots yesterday on the bottom.
Thank you well I know it is t pecking he is alone and is a inside chicken other chickens inside are just babies. But we do have no climb fencing and he is always flying over it to go visit my neighbor when he sees her and so pretty prickly weeds here in Florida I am on 30 acres . I’ll vaccinate him than mosquitoes are quite bad here

I'm in Florida also. I've had some fowl pox in my flock. The dry pox usually runs it's course with no real issues in a few weeks. The wet form is more serious, I've not yet had a case of the wet form. They are most at risk of being bitten at night when they are stationary on the roosts. I put window screen over all my coop openings, and a piece of screen over my door opening hanging down in strips, to help keep the mosquito's out, it helps a lot. Also if you can put fans in safe locations (where the birds can't get to them) that move the air, it makes it harder for the mosquito's to land on them.

I'm in Florida also. I've had some fowl pox in my flock. The dry pox usually runs it's course with no real issues in a few weeks. The wet form is more serious, I've not yet had a case of the wet form. They are most at risk of being bitten at night when they are stationary on the roosts. I put window screen over all my coop openings, and a piece of screen over my door opening hanging down in strips, to help keep the mosquito's out, it helps a lot. Also if you can put fans in safe locations (where the birds can't get to them) that move the air, it makes it harder for the mosquito's to land on them.
I never thought of the screen that is a good Idea ! Thank you. He is in the house at night but they still are bad where the coop is at . Nasty things .They do have fans in the runs Since they Were young so they don’t mess with the ( box fan) . Thank you for your Input we had had a lot of rain a month ago .

The screens do collect dirt and dander, so will need to be cleaned periodically. I just use screws and washers to attach them, some build fancier frames.

Back
Top Bottom