Fowl Pox?

rachelb

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 6, 2008
SW France
I have discovered a rather large wart like dry growth on the ear lobe of my 4 year old Partridge Orpington. She seems quite well with a lovely red comb but did seem to struggle a little when I put some bread out for her and her friends earlier today. She does not lay very often these days so cannot really tell if her egg laying abilities have been affected.

I have looked up the symptoms and wonder whether she has Avian/Fowl Pox? If so what's the best cause of action? Is it fatal? Should I separate her from my other 3 hens?

Oh dear, bit worried about this ..........
sad.png

Fowl Pox is generally not fatal. It is a virus that will run them down til it passes. Get them on some vitamins to pump up the immune system. As far as I know, there is not much you can do for fowl pox but wait it out. So sorry.

You can separate them, however fowl pox is contagious and chances are they have all been exposed to it. Some of them may not get it however. The warts will scab up and look pretty ugly, but will fall off eventually. And I believe they will become immune to it there after.

Back
Top Bottom