Fox Attack!

If you could post pictures of her injuries, that would be good.

Good work on flushing the wound so quickly. Really, at this point you're main goal will be keeping the wound moist with an antibacterial ointment, and if you have a bandage over top is very important it's not on too tight, and has plenty of gauze for air circulation underneath the bandage. The bandage should be taken off every day to be monitored for anything abnormal such as maggots.

I would keep her in a warm, soft padded area, away from flies, where feed and water is near. Encouraging her to drink often would be a good idea. If you have a syringe or eyedropper I would try dripping sugar water, or an electrolyte like Gatorade along her bill. Offering soupy feed, or mashed scrambled eggs might be good too.

Since this is a bite wound, infection is always a concern. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Do you live near a TSC, if yes, I can suggest an antibiotic if you'd like?

As horrific of an event this was, were your ducks attacked outside of a protective enclosure? I would be guessing a mommy fox showing her two pups how to hunt and will return. :(
X2 and aside from making sure they are safely away at night and safe outside during the day, i like my electronet. i feel the situation is improved Many fold by removing the predator, have a trapper come in if you aren't up for getting rid of it yourself. Learn the rules in your area, or learn the 3 S’s.

She made it through the night! He wounds are no longer bleeding and she is drinking water. Our other duck who had a deep cut on his neck made it through the night as well, despite displaying signs of decompressive shock. Thanks for all the help!

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Her are some pictures of her worst wound, on her neck.

Sorry to hear that, Isaac 0 should be around later yet today and he will be able to better address that with you. Might have to start tube feeding her if she keeps refusing to eat.

Back
Top Bottom