foofty

Chirping
May 7, 2012
home sweet home
Saturday October 27, 2018. Red fox came to cause chaos and fear and he trotted amongst our 15 banties out in front of our barn. One bantie ran & hid in the shallows of our pond. One 4 month old flapped her wings so hard she ended up on top of our pole barn. Fox did get away earlier in the day with Black/White D'Uccle rooster and my sweet Buff Brahma hen who was a surrogate momma for a blue silkie I had gotten from Merton Feed Company this summer. He was so bold, as I screamed at him he ignored me until I was within 10' he turned around and ran away as he was about to get my tiny Silver Seabright hen.
So I would like to make a point that we have been using wolf & coyote urine in the containers provided in a kit I purchased here. It did not work with this red fox.
I been keeping the chickens inside since Saturday&keeping our eyes out to shoot this fox.
Praise God that our new mated Runners were smart enough to scoot into the nearby pond for safety. They know enough to also spend their nights in the water too.
So I have read alot of testimonies on here of red foxes being seen in mid-day. This is not spring either. His visit was Oct.27th. So that blows the theory they only come out during daytime in spring.
I would like to replace my dear little Buff Brahma hen. But it being winter, I doubt if anything is available. My black silkie is on eggs and I'm allowing it because we keep the coop heated.
Thanks for reading. Bless all my friends who love their chickens and duckies and goosies.

Saturday October 27, 2018. Red fox came to cause chaos and fear and he trotted amongst our 15 banties out in front of our barn. One bantie ran & hid in the shallows of our pond. One 4 month old flapped her wings so hard she ended up on top of our pole barn. Fox did get away earlier in the day with Black/White D'Uccle rooster and my sweet Buff Brahma hen who was a surrogate momma for a blue silkie I had gotten from Merton Feed Company this summer. He was so bold, as I screamed at him he ignored me until I was within 10' he turned around and ran away as he was about to get my tiny Silver Seabright hen.
So I would like to make a point that we have been using wolf & coyote urine in the containers provided in a kit I purchased here. It did not work with this red fox.
I been keeping the chickens inside since Saturday&keeping our eyes out to shoot this fox.
Praise God that our new mated Runners were smart enough to scoot into the nearby pond for safety. They know enough to also spend their nights in the water too.
So I have read alot of testimonies on here of red foxes being seen in mid-day. This is not spring either. His visit was Oct.27th. So that blows the theory they only come out during daytime in spring.
I would like to replace my dear little Buff Brahma hen. But it being winter, I doubt if anything is available. My black silkie is on eggs and I'm allowing it because we keep the coop heated.
Thanks for reading. Bless all my friends who love their chickens and duckies and goosies.
I'm so sorry to hear you have lost some good friends from your fox attack, I know it's heartbreaking. :hit We had some similar problems during the day with coyotes and foxes (and dogs) running in from the woods, quickly grabbing one of the chickens and running back out to the forest. We got some 4 foot farm fencing and made a large (50x50') run for our birds. If a fox or other predator tries to catch a hen during the day they must first climb a 4 foot fence. We have not lost any chickens since we put up this barrier. It's too much trouble for them to get over the fence is my guess. The chickens are happy with the large space and do not try to fly over the fence, although they can. Perhaps a similar setup would work for you? You cannot depend on killing this one fox, there will be others for sure. You must come up with some protection or you will continue to loose your flock. :hugs

It will help to visit the neighbors to alert them, and anyone within about 1/2 mile who obviously has chickens or other birds. Then everyone will be on alert, and maybe someone else can get a successful shot at him.
There's information about live trapping foxes, so add that to your plan.
Meanwhile, keep those birds safely inside!
Good luck,
Mary

Saturday October 27, 2018. Red fox came to cause chaos and fear and he trotted amongst our 15 banties out in front of our barn.
:mad: No, they aren't just out-and-about in the Spring. All summer, they're teaching their kits to hunt - all day. Right now, they're fattening up while there's plentiful prey. Come Winter, they'll be out longer, looking for scarce prey ... then they'll be feeding babies again in the Spring. They're bold little buggers - and they're everywhere! Shooting one will protect your flock from a fox that has figured out how to get your chickens, but who's to say that the next one won't figure it out, too? Your best bet (after nailing that smug little bugger!) is to build yourself a big, predator-proof run. It's the only way to keep your flock out of the fox's reach ... and even that's not a guarantee!
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom