Never seen any weasels around here. We're "lucky" in the UK that we don't get all the predators that you guys do, it's just the fox really and that's it if we're talking about wild animals getting into a chicken pen.

I've always heard that foxes take the heads off, didn't know about other predators-is this just the easiest way to kill is that why they take heads off? My guess is that the fox couldn't get the birds back under the wire so wasn't able to take off with them or it's possible yes that it got interrupted.

MROO- Sorry you had even worse experiences finding your birds :hugs Glad things are working out for you now, I wish I had a goat! Used to have dogs that would bark at any noise and may have scared foxes away but do not have dogs anymore since my last one passed away. It's a shame, if it wasn't for the fox we could keep our birds out all the time.

Thanks - it was actually years ago, but still fresh in my mind. The goat was funny, He was a master of creative boredom-busting, so my poor birds never knew what to expect. More than once, we found bald patches on the back of my largest (and most peaceful!) drakes and chalked it up to a predator or molting... until we caught him playing "tag" with Frankie. The poor fellow was a huge Mallard/Pekin cross who was too sweet to hurt even a fly and wasn't smart enough to get out of his own way. Apparently, he was Banjo's favorite playmate!

^^ Bless that's so funny, how cute!

Now my issue is what to do with my 2 remaining birds (my two Buff Orpington chickens escaped the attack). I don't really even want to go into their pen anymore and it's really big for just two birds now. I have been thinking about selling them for a while even before the attack because I do not plan on getting anymore birds. I don't know how feasible it is to sell them, they are around 4 years old still laying really well and go broody at least once a year, have never had any health problems, maybe someone would want them.

The other option is to move them somewhere else, perhaps get one of those eglu things but they are so expensive seems a waste for just two birds. I can't think of anywhere else i can keep them. I don't really want to keep them in the same pen and house after what happened and I'm sure they are traumatised there as well. So that's my dilemma now. Any one have an opinion on what is the best thing to do?

Damn. A fox that bold needs a shotgun, STAT.
Put a call on your local town page, whatever that may be. There is probably someone who would love to get a fox pelt.
2 weeks after this incident, our neighbor shot 2 red fox mid-day on his property as they were trying to get at his chickens. YAY!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear you have lost some good friends from your fox attack, I know it's heartbreaking. :hit We had some similar problems during the day with coyotes and foxes (and dogs) running in from the woods, quickly grabbing one of the chickens and running back out to the forest. We got some 4 foot farm fencing and made a large (50x50') run for our birds. If a fox or other predator tries to catch a hen during the day they must first climb a 4 foot fence. We have not lost any chickens since we put up this barrier. It's too much trouble for them to get over the fence is my guess. The chickens are happy with the large space and do not try to fly over the fence, although they can. Perhaps a similar setup would work for you? You cannot depend on killing this one fox, there will be others for sure. You must come up with some protection or you will continue to loose your flock. :hugs
Ya, we just kept them inside after this attack. they have a fortress that can't be gotten into by fox but our fault was letting them range during day.
After neighbor killed 2 red fox, we let them out occasionally. No probs as of yet. But I agree, there will be another to move into this territory next year.
As for the 4' fence. I just want to share that several years back, we watched a fox jump over a 6' solid wood fence to get to the chickens. He had no probs jumping that high. Husband went down & shot him whilst he was still in with chickens

^^ Bless that's so funny, how cute!

Now my issue is what to do with my 2 remaining birds (my two Buff Orpington chickens escaped the attack). I don't really even want to go into their pen anymore and it's really big for just two birds now. I have been thinking about selling them for a while even before the attack because I do not plan on getting anymore birds. I don't know how feasible it is to sell them, they are around 4 years old still laying really well and go broody at least once a year, have never had any health problems, maybe someone would want them.

The other option is to move them somewhere else, perhaps get one of those eglu things but they are so expensive seems a waste for just two birds. I can't think of anywhere else i can keep them. I don't really want to keep them in the same pen and house after what happened and I'm sure they are traumatised there as well. So that's my dilemma now. Any one have an opinion on what is the best thing to do?
I'm so very sorry. I would take them no probs. But I live in Wisconsin 20 miles from Milwaukee

Back
Top Bottom