Fox hunt

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalpro24, Aug 27, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Songster

Apr 15, 2011
    I grew up largely in England, and I think one thing that turned me off about the whole ban issue, is that the ban was attempted to be labeled as class warfare. "Discrimination against the rich" is what huge billboards claimed. I'm honestly not surprised it was banned with a message like that as opposed to something like, "hey, we help conserve land, yay!". XD

At any rate, I enjoyed the culture of the fox hunts. The large groups of fox hounds were a sight to see for sure.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've enjoyed it! Thanks! I was so glued to it and hubby was sitting there talking to me, I was in my own world! [​IMG]

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Songster

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Exactly! I wonder if they'll let them hunt later when the fox population grows.

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Songster

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I know!!! I think it's so cool!

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    I forgot to mention something else. There are 'no kill' fox hunts too - I mentioned the caged fox ('bag fox') but not that some hunts never kill the fox.

And as you can imagine, after being released and captured a few times a fox can get awful clever about tricks to throw off the pack. No kill hunts can be extremely challenging.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is what makes it more fun when there is no kill fox hunting LOL! Its the fox's lucky day to freedom. It would be a matter of time if people want to re introduce foxes back on the countryside in controlled enivornment. Like we do for coyotes and nuisance bears.

7. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Foxes are fine and exist in many environments - just not at the extreme overpopulation after the 'clearances'.

8. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Here they do drag hunts... Where they drag the fox's scent prior to the hunt and the hounds chase that. I used to go hunting fairly regularly when I was a teenager and it was great fun. The horses love it too. The first time they don't really know what is going to happen but after going a few times they are amped up before they're even off the trailer [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I thought fox hunting like that was illegal now?? (and with good reason)
    What country was this in??

10. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Fox hunting is not illegal in Ireland, the USA, and most European, Asian, African, and S. American countries.

Fox hunting recently was made illegal in Britain amid great controversy.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: