Fox hunt

Quote:
Its still legal in the USA?
ep.gif
(by "fox hunting"..i mean like they did in Britian with horses and dogs and running the animal down..)
I know that any farmer can go in his backyard here in the USA and humanely shoot a predator fox.(that i understand..)... but i was talking about the "other" kind of fox hunting, fox hunting for "sport"... Is that kind of "hunting" still legal here in the USA?

Quote:
ep.gif
(by "fox hunting"..i mean like they did in Britian with horses and dogs and running the animal down..)
I know that any farmer can go in his backyard here in the USA and humanely shoot a predator fox.(that i understand..)... but i was talking about the "other" kind of fox hunting, fox hunting for "sport"... Is that kind of "hunting" still legal here in the USA?

yes it is. If you didn't know georgia back in the colonial days past time was fox hunts. I see nothing wrong with it except for all the humans for 1 fox. Plus it is an enjoyable time to ride your mount and socialize.

Quote:
ep.gif

yes it is. If you didn't know georgia back in the colonial days past time was fox hunts. I see nothing wrong with it except for all the humans for 1 fox. Plus it is an enjoyable time to ride your mount and socialize.

Interesting!! Never knew it was legal here... you would think it wouldnt be....
hu.gif

Learn something new on BYC everyday...
cool.png

Its also interesting the Brits banned it, and we didnt... (as i believe thats where it must have mostly started, then they brought it over here to the States ??..)
Yes, i agree..all those humans on one fox is sad.

OOH well... was just wondering if "sport" fox hunting was indeed legal here in the USA... thanks!!

Quote:
I believe they are in Ireland, but I could be mistaken.

THanks! Was wondering where they were from!
smile.png

I think it's very sad that fox hunting is illegal in England, as it has done such a great job of supporting farmers and paying for land conservation, but the economy in ireland sure doesn't mind if all the fox hunters go over there for their sport. There is a chance that fox hunting may be reinstated in England, but it would be restricted in some fashion (I haven't read the proposed law).

I think that certain methods of hunting are both good and necessary. Even if there are problems or yahoos who don't follow the rules, I think the solution is to enforce the rules rather than ban necessary forms of hunting.

Forms I don't think are useful: Killing exotic or endangered animals. Killing of farm animals. Allowing hunting without requiring gun handling safety. Allowing hunting without revoking license for lifetime after carelessness causes accident or suffering of animal or other hunters.

I actually would like to see a form of deer hunting with shoot-to-kill until the populations are under control, and then after that, allow hunters to team with animal care/conservation workers, hunters can shoot animals with anaesthetic, and work with the team to vaccinate, treat diseases, perform health exams, do hoof care, and neuter males.

I would prefer having a fox dispatched for sure by the pack or escape clean away unscathed, rather than 'shot humanely' (which I think is an extremely funny phrase).

As for 'all those humans and one fox', if you watch the video, you'd see that all the people following the pack of hounds are not involved in the actual hunting of the fox. They're just watching. The huntsman and his assistants are working the hound pack and the hounds are doing the hunting.

Quote:

Interesting!! Never knew it was legal here... you would think it wouldnt be....
hu.gif

Learn something new on BYC everyday...
cool.png

Its also interesting the Brits banned it, and we didnt... (as i believe thats where it must have mostly started, then they brought it over here to the States ??..)
Yes, i agree..all those humans on one fox is sad.

OOH well... was just wondering if "sport" fox hunting was indeed legal here in the USA... thanks!!

It's really just 4 or 5 humans on one fox then "The Field" comes in when they have killed or captured the fox.

I have a Hunt Master that lives about 6 houses down from me. She has about 40 hounds and you always know when she is working them as you can hear them from a mile away.
One day I will get down there to introduce myself and see if maybe she wants a buddy to ride with when she is working the dogs. I don't know if my mare would do well at a full blown hunt.

Back
Top Bottom