Fox kits (mom killing hens)

Stevo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Howell, NJ
I have a den of foxes behind the geerage. 6 kits. Chickens were disapearing two at a time. I put the trap out and caught one kit. The others would not go in. Now mind you I am an ex Army Ranger with 2 tours in Vietnam under my belt. But when I got the .22 out and put the crosshairs on the little buggers I couldn't do it. Call me a whimp if you want.

I haven't seen them for 3 days now. Usually I see them playing on the den mound. I am hoping the mother took them away to a safer place. If not I dunno what to do.

Look at the little cutie. Those logs are 12 inches long to give you an ideer of their size.

IMG_0032modified.jpg

IMG_0036modified.jpg

So cute. Too bad they were going after your chickens because they are so cute. I'm happy that you did not kill them just because it would make me feel bad. I would not mind as much if it were a raccoon, which are worse because they will slaughter a whole flock just for the fun of it.

I am glad you didn't kill them.
hide.gif
It's so hard when they are just babies. Some how doesn't seem fair. Don't get me wrong, DH has shot 3 full grown fox who decided to dine on our chickens. We don't put up with predators. It will be hard to relocate them unless you can trap them all. May not be old enough to be without Momma. I hope you think of a solution. Good luck!

This is why baby anything is so cute it hard to kill something so darn cute. I am glad that one is going to go free. I hope mommy moved the others some where away from your chickens.

We had a litter of kits in our hay barn last year I was snooping around trying to find them and before i knew it the momma had moved them all out. They are still around I found a dead one today on a fence line we are having a terrible outbreak of rabies in central texas, seeing dead foxes,skunks, and coons everywhere.

Your best defense for the foxes could be as simple as leaving dog food out for them to eat instead of your chickens. Foxes usually tend to go for the easiest meal possible. You made your chickens the only option. A couple bags of cheap dog food could have saved your chickens and kept the foxes away from your property.

Back
Top Bottom