Fox wipeout - only one hen left!

jodieevaughan

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2016
England
As you can imagine, I was devastated when I found out this morning. Yesterday there was 6, now there is 1. There were only 2 bodies in the garden, the other 3 must've either ran away or the fox took them.
Basically, I just need tips on how to comfort her as much as possible. Until I can get some companions for her which will hopefully be 3-4 days, I'd love any tips at all on how to comfort her so hopefully she doesn't feel quite so lonely.
So far, I've thought of just spending lots of time with her, perhaps putting a teddy in the hut? And also playing audio of chickens speaking.. if anyone has any more ideas, and also for how to PREVENT FUTURE ATTACKS, id be so so grateful.
(They already have a high metal fencing around their pen, the door to the hut has a little gap at the bottom for them to hop in, but tonight I've blocked it off with metal bins to well and truly make it as difficult as possible for another attack)
(We live in the countryside and there is a trainline just after the bottom of the garden, and a forest, but this is the first attack in all 6 years of having chickens)

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost so many of your hens :hugs. I'd put her on some probiotics and a vitamin/electrolyte because she sounds very stressed which can cause them to get sick. I would think playing an audio of chicken noises may confuse her and make her want to "find" the other chickens. But maybe it would be comforting, not sure. Yeah, I would definitely spend as much time as possible with her. Give her lots of treats and love. You're going to need to predator proof your coop as soon as possible because the fox probably knows that their is one hen left and may come back. If you could post some pictures of your set up that would help us see what needs fixed.

Last edited:
Thank you both very much! Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the audio.. so I maybe won't risk it, I'll just speak to her myself I guess! I will take some photos in the morning as it's very dark now, thank you! I've given her lots of berries today as she loves those :) I think I'll take a couple of teddies down tomorrow so she can snuggle up to them if she wants

Right now, the coop has a 6 foot wire fencing, but through the day we let them into the wider garden you see, but it's also very well fenced in so we didn't imagine a fox would even be able to get in! But I have had her shut in the coop all day, and when she went into the hut (inside the coop) I locked it up and put heavy metal bins in front in hopes it'd deter the fox a little more.

Right now, the coop has a 6 foot wire fencing, but through the day we let them into the wider garden you see, but it's also very well fenced in so we didn't imagine a fox would even be able to get in! But I have had her shut in the coop all day, and when she went into the hut (inside the coop) I locked it up and put heavy metal bins in front in hopes it'd deter the fox a little more.

We're they attacked during the day or at night?

It was while the coop was open, about 7am! In 6 years, this is the first attack we've had, so I feel as though with her locked in the coop, hopefully the fox won't get in, but it scares me that the fox knows where she stays now. It's 3:20am and I can't sleep and am deeply worrying about her! (Also, I really couldn't use any kind of traps, assuming that they hurt/kill the fox)

Last edited:
It was while the coop was open, about 7am! In 6 years, this is the first attack we've had, so I feel as though with her locked in the coop, hopefully the fox won't get in, but it scares me that the fox knows where she stays now. It's 3:20am and I can't sleep and am deeply worrying about her! (Also, I really couldn't use any kind of traps, assuming that they hurt/kill the fox)

Live traps don't hurt the animal, but of course, the question is what will you do with it when you catch it if you won't/can't kill it? Relocating is usually against regulations in most areas.

... also you're not allowed to say your age on here so you might want to take that part out so you don't get in trouble.

This is off topic, I know; but I am curious. What is the rationale behind such a rule? I've mentioned my age before and no one said anything to me.

Back
Top Bottom