Fox wipeout - only one hen left!

This is off topic, I know; but I am curious. What is the rationale behind such a rule? I've mentioned my age before and no one said anything to me.

The rule is to dissuade the possibility of online predators using BYC to 'befriend' or influence minors...

Adults may disclose their age of they so choose, but not minors... nor is it allowed for others to ask a minors age... it's a safety precaution, as best as can be done for an online forum... :)

Thank you both very much! Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the audio.. so I maybe won't risk it, I'll just speak to her myself I guess! I will take some photos in the morning as it's very dark now, thank you! I've given her lots of berries today as she loves those :) I think I'll take a couple of teddies down tomorrow so she can snuggle up to them if she wants

An unbreakable mirror might help, reflection seems to help them feel they aren't alone...

I was fortunate because I saw the fox circling the coop. Make sure there in no way for him to get in. They can climb and dig. Now I bring them in nightly, block off the second entrance, put a thin piece metal under the door along with chimes and cans tied to the door. There is also a net over the front of the pen. He's been back, I went out banging pans together. Hopefully he will go somewhere else. I was told to trap and relocate but that would only make him someone else's problem If necessary, I will shoot him Good Luck PS Chickens adjust easily She will probably have more of a problem adjusting to the new hens than being lonely

Update - she hates the teddy lol! she squished right into the corner to get as far away from it as possible!

LOL I was wondering how that was going to work out.

The rule is to dissuade the possibility of online predators using BYC to 'befriend' or influence minors...

Adults may disclose their age of they so choose, but not minors... nor is it allowed for others to ask a minors age... it's a safety precaution, as best as can be done for an online forum...
smile.png
That explains why no one said anything when I mentioned my age, since I'm old enough to be a grandma. Of course, having a member tell us forum rules say they can't reveal their age is announcing that they are a minor, which defeats the purpose of the rule. :) I'm not arguing....I'm just sayin'.

I had a similar attack happen to 3 of my hens. I forgot to close the door one night and a fox got in. This was my first every attack ( hopefully my last) and I was shocked. I was about 11 years old and so was very shaken,These were my first every birds that I owned, brought and raised on my own. one was dead one was half dead and one was missing. we thought the fox took it but after following a trail of feathers seems she fled and hid behind a bin. I refused to keep chickens for two / three years and gave her to a friend that has a large flock (she's still alive). I got back into them this year. I now have hunted every fox out of our area and so my chickens happily free range the garden and get locked up in a secure shed every night (even if its dark I have to go out and lock up ensuring no other attacks) and my banties sometimes even sleep in a tree in the back for a night. BTW - i didn't kill any foxes I chased them out of our area, they haven't come back because houses are being developed in the area where they were.

Live traps don't hurt the animal, but of course, the question is what will you do with it when you catch it if you won't/can't kill it? Relocating is usually against regulations in most areas.

This is off topic, I know; but I am curious. What is the rationale behind such a rule? I've mentioned my age before and no one said anything to me.

It's BYC rule, it keeps all the creeps and weirdos away from the younger members. You never know who's out there

BYC has over 340,000 members around It's just common sense. People attract human predators on Face book and other sites as well. Better to be safe than sorry. I gave out too much info when I first signed up several years ago and right then and there, deleted things like city, state and no full name.

As to your fox, we have many out here. They come and go in the daytime as well - not rabid just used to humans and when they put out trash, feed out door pets. Fox are very clever and can jump high with the slightest effort, they can also climb, dig, reach in thru wide openings in fence, etc. If you put barriers in front, they will move them out of the way, or use them to jump over fences. They are very efficient killers. A wire or solid cover over your outdoor run will keep a lot of predators out as well.

BYC has over 340,000 members around  It's just common sense.  People attract  human predators on Face book and other sites as well. Better to be safe than sorry.   I gave out too much info when I first signed up several years ago  and  right then and there, deleted  things like city, state and no full name.

As to your fox, we have many out here. They come and go in the daytime as well  - not rabid just used to humans and when they put out trash, feed out door pets. Fox are very clever and can jump  high with the slightest effort, they can also climb, dig, reach in thru wide openings in fence, etc.  If you put barriers in front,  they will move them out of the way, or use them to  jump over fences. They are very efficient killers.  A wire or solid cover over your outdoor run will keep a lot of predators out as well. 

What about the name on my profile?

Back
Top Bottom