Fox wipeout - only one hen left!

Well, I have posted on every social media I have that they're missing and added photos.. people shared the posts around, but there's been no results. I've searched the village from top to bottom. To be honest, maybe it was a long shot, I'm sure a fox could manage to eat or at least kill and move three chickens.

On a more positive note though, I got Mimi (the survivor) 2 new companions this morning - Polly and Poppet! They are adorable of course.. with Mimi being so incredibly panicky though, I worried for how this would go, especially since at about 20 weeks old the new chickens are actually larger than her (she's about 3yo!), but when I got them in the pen she was quick to dominate the situation! Of course seeing them peck at eachother isn't nice, but I was so happy to see her defend herself and her space rather than get nervous/scared like I feared she would! :)

Last edited:
My own dogs seem to get into my coop more than any preditor. One likes to kill and eat chickens so I have her tied up during the day, and now the other one is stealing / eating eggs out of their nests! Both are pyrenese. :( They are supposed to be good guard dogs and not attack livestock.

My own dogs seem to get into my coop more than any preditor. One likes to kill and eat chickens so I have her tied up during the day, and now the other one is stealing / eating eggs out of their nests! Both are pyrenese. :( They are supposed to be good guard dogs and not attack livestock.
Dogs still need to be trained and shown right from wrong. If they do not know they are supposed to guard the chickens they wont,

Easier said than done. My dogs know they aren't allowed in there and won't go in even the chicken yard as long as they know I'm around... but then one gets a hair up her butt ... 'hmm, I wonder if there are eggs in there' and comes out licking her chops.

You might consider getting traps and catching the fox(s)

If anyone has any tips of trapping foxes I would love to hear them. It seems trapping is easier said than done. We've tried several type traps including Have a Heart which were great at trapping raccoons and opossums which weren't the problem.

Place the bait around the trap rather than only inside it. Avoid leaving your own scent on the trap, as this may prove to be a deterrent. You can also repel foxes, keeping them off your property in the first place. The fox repellent should target both the sense of smell and taste of the fox.

If anyone has any tips of trapping foxes I would love to hear them.  It seems trapping is easier said than done.  We've tried several type traps including Have a Heart which were great at trapping raccoons and opossums which weren't the problem. 

I've trapped raccoons but never a fox. When trapping raccoons I put a blanket/tarp/towel around the entire cage except the door. Put a metal rod through the back end of the cage from top to bottom and dig deep into the ground. This way they feel safer going into the cage thinking its a hollow log or something and if they really want the food then hey have to go in and can't tip the cage over and role it around until the bait comes out. Instead of using a blanket or towel I used pine tree branches all around the cage. It made look more like a log and masked my scent. Maybe these tips will help for foxes too.

I agree with Flock Master64, you should make the Fox think it's getting free food in an environment close to a home feeling. I've heard you'll have a better chance in catching it with apple's and peanut butter. Hope you catch this Fox! Good luck!
1f601.png
1f60a.png
1f609.png
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom