Foxes / Coyotes

mhhousley

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
LaFollette, TN
Anyone know how to lure and catch Foxes or coyotes? I heard of a rabbit call before. That makes the sound of a rabbit squealing. I need something to keep them from taking half of my small flock everytime I get more than 5-6 chickens!

a good gland lure works for me there are many makers most are good I tend to order from those close to me . depending on what color/specie fox red fox are caught by me using rotted mice there is a "just mice" lure that works well if you are not into making your own for grey fox fish works for me because I live near the ICW and this is an available food source for them I use # 1 or a 1 1/2 steel trap and either a "dirt hole set" or "flat set" or a "urine post set" they all work they all have their places putting them in the right place is part of the learning curve involved with trapping fox

The rabbit scream one usually works well, you can also get recorded screams which are legal to use, but you have to be well hidden and downwind of them. Just be careful--I had a friend who was so well hidden when he was using one that the coyote jumped right into his lap. Tough to decide who it scared worse.

Quote:
I think I found a rabbit scream online one time. Couldn't you play it on a laptop to attract them?

Probably--download it at a ringtone on your cellphone and call yourself.

you might check your game and fish laws electronic calls are not legal everywhere they just became legal ( Va.) here a few hunting seasons ago

Quote:
Legal schmegal, I got 35 acres. I could shoot (and do shoot ak's and ar15's) a laptop making a squealing sound is the least of my worries, hehe

Afterall it's to remove a predator that is killing my livestock and pets!

good luck with that electonic stuff,
how does that old saying go, sly like a fox, smart like a fox
coyotes are even harder to trap,
fortunately they need an opening to get in, just don't leave the door open like I did tonight

I just check the NYS Hunting and Trapping Syllabus--electronic calls are legal in NYS--p. 51.

Achickenwrangler#1 :

good luck with that electonic stuff,
how does that old saying go, sly like a fox, smart like a fox
coyotes are even harder to trap,
fortunately they need an opening to get in, just don't leave the door open like I did tonight

Who said anything about 'Trapping' ?? I plan on blowing them away. I use to get mad at hunters for killing coyotes and foxes for the hell of it. But after owning poultry and seeing the massacre they cause, I won't hesitate to blow them away with my 12ga.​

Back
Top Bottom