Foxes!!

Yes, I agree, dog + fence is really the best option! That gives both the chickens and the dog a defined territory. Its Much easier for the dog to defend an understood defined territory..

I have two systems in place for two types of free-range poultry keeping. My American Dominiques are poor fliers and relatively easy to confine using electrified poultry netting. Red Fox will generally not try to beat the netting if it is kept hot and properly setup. My American Games and Missouri Dominiques are not contained well by the poultry netting. What I do for them is have so a set of perimeters are setup the birds can go through but at least slows Red Fox (and other ground predators). First I have hotwire setup so it is well suited for zapping Coyotes in down. Secondly I have the hotwire placed in tightly mowed lanes that are bordered by taller pasture. The lanes serve as a warning and funnel predator movements which can be handy when using traps. Finally I have dogs that can and do kill predators like the Red Fox which is made easier by how foxes are funneled by fencing. The dogs are the most expensive and adaptive part. The dog need not be big. I have German Pointers very well although switching over to English Shepherds as speed, smarts and overall behavioral flexibility is an asset with my little operation that currently covers only about 6 acres of my 18 acre patch.

The games do sometime range beyond core where they are difficult to protect. Losses then incurred but generally lot and often consistent with were culling would occur otherwise. The American Dominiques are kept in core of defended area. I have enough predator control that hens can hatch eggs and rear chicks in ground in pasture area. Dogs are what make that possible.

The fencing I could setup from scratch in a weekend. Dogs require 2 years for first and an additional two years to get second in place. Two dogs often required to deal with canid predators that are also fast and smart. I will even be using a third dog (another English Shepherd) once a small herd of sheep and goats acquired.

I am leaving out lots of important details when it comes to cover patches and roost accommodations.

I also have a Fox problem...Trapping is hard...We still have a fox problem...All we ever catch is my Cat...
Fox are smart and usually wont go into a trap. We shot its mate last fall but the female is still here...

We were told we could relocate her, but it would be best to shoot her if we catch her? I live in Canada so rules are a bit different...Was told to snare it but again the cats are the issue.

During the day my dogs are out while I free range. I have a Maremma and two Aussie crosses...No fox during the day...

Ive read lots of suggestions about putting the hair of ten different people in knotted pairs of tights out of sight around your coop. Allegedly they can differentiate the individuals and will think there's a small gathering of people nearby. I have yet to acquire that much hair that isn't mine, so I don't know whether it actually works but thought I'd share in case it helps. Maybe some of our other readers have tried this and have a comment on how effective it is.

Im not interested in killing the fox, after all he is just doing what he needs to do. Trapping and relocating seems like the best option.
Thanks!
But Brier Fox is very interested in killing your chickens and he (Brier Fox) is unconcerned about the pain, stress, and mental anguish that he inflicts on your chickens.

The same can be said of a Great Pyrenees Live Stock Guardian Dog, he has no concern regarding any pain, stress, and mental anguish that the dog inflicts on any fox that the dog is lucky enough to get his mouth on.

It is not cruelty but rather a prime example of how the real world operates. Those that do what is necessary live and prosper and the rest are called home before their time to sleep for all eternity in the bosom of Father Abraham.

Since chickens are unable to make an informed decision of their own, not protecting your flock to the best of human ability is to condemn your flock to serve as fox bait.

my wife did not want the barking from a livestock guard dog so.... I expanded the electric poultry netting area. I have seen a fox and a coyote look at the chickens and guineas but not attempt to get through the fence, I assume that they have tried once when I was not looking. It is sad the fence does not last forever but for four sections of fence (3/4 acre), it is cheaper than a pair of dogs and easier to train. I have had the guineas fly out.

Back
Top Bottom