Foxes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by muddychicken2, Oct 9, 2012.

1. muddychicken2

muddychicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

What are some ways to keep foxes away woke up yesterday around 6 30 went to do the birds at 7 and there was a fox sniffing the coop trying to get in. Any suggestions thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    A .22 works wonders....

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If birds are free-range, then active dog is best method to keep fox away. If birds confined, then electrifying perimeter of pen works well. Shooting will be effective against fox when you are around only and will require periodically repeated efforts. Previous methods will require continous maintenance on your part but will also work against other predators even when you are not present. Scented and lighted repellents do not work.

4. Mubbyduck2

Mubbyduck2 New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    where ever:)
    my moms friend has a lot of chickens and so to keep foxs away he puts up fake foxes and owls and maybe a person trie it!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. yolka doodle

yolka doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Essex, England
    Human male urine! dont sound very nice but apparently it keeps the foxes away get a male friend to wee around the perimeter of your garden/ coop and human hair in nets hanging around the garden, Well this is what i have read. I have a problem with foxes, my new bunnies i got last sat where taken yesterday. We have foxes in a bit of land behind us and a female has had cubs. She is on the hunt and my bunnies were easy pickings. I thought their run was secure but they managed to dragged it away and get them. I am no worried they will come after my girls. They are in a large shed which is secure but at the weekend i am going to see if i can make it safer. [​IMG]

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've heard this one before but I can testify that it did not work for us. DH routinely uses an area along our hedgerow when we are out working and its too far to go in. The fox who devastated my flock in July came in via the hedgerow and actually hung out for awhile right at a place DH has used multiple times.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Human male urine from me does not work, nor does dog urine. Fox is a small agile predator that at times has to be able to hunt almost under nose of larger predators like wolves so for it, respecting larger predators does not pay. Coyote urine might work.

8. yolka doodle

Oct 7, 2012
    Essex, England
    Hi HEchicken and Centrarchid

thats that one one out the window ha ha, i am from England and we dont have coyote here. I just went to see my girls and the smell of foxes wee is so strong. I am determined to fine a deterrent, when i do i will let you know.:) [​IMG][​IMG]

9. memcwhit

memcwhit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    I just wanted to bump this because we had a Silkie vanish about a week ago, and I sat out with my gun for 4 hours the next day and saw nothing. Then yesterday, I see a fox wandering around in my horse pasture and by the time I went in, got my gun and loaded it, it was gone. Grey fox, and having done my research, it appears that it will continue to be a problem as my property is surrounded by thick brush on the west side, and since it has found easy pickin's before, it will keep coming back when hungry. We've got a live trap set--no luck (and from what we gather, we *won't* have any luck unless it can be completely wiped of human scent and mostly buried underground). As of now, we keep the leg snatcher traps (sorry, at a loss for what they're actually called right now) set at night because we can pen up dogs, cats, and horses that might unfortunately wander into them. No luck so far on any of those either. Last resort is keeping a loaded weapon closer to the door, but I still have the issue of firing into the horse pasture and the only weapon that we can keep "out of reach" is a handgun, and I honestly suck with anything other than a rifle. I'm so frustrated because I've kept them cooped for their own safety, but they don't lay very well while cooped. We've gotten a grand total of 5 eggs from 3 hens in the last week! Am I headed in the right direction? Will the little b**&(*^ eventually show itself so I can get a shot off? Will shooting the one that's already here even solve it, or will I be looking over my shoulder for that sleek grey fur forevermore?

10. yolka doodle

Oct 7, 2012
    Essex, England
    I a from the Uk and really only hav efoxes to worry about. Reading the predators you have in America would frighten the Sh** out of me, and i think i have it bad. Foxes took my rabbits last week, only had them four days as a neighbour's sister was looking for a good home for them. I feel sooooooo bad, She does not know what has happened. Now the fox has had an easy meal they are in my garden every evening, i can smell their wee all round my chicken coop. Apparently they hate Jayes fluid? so i am going to get some and put it all around my chicken coop as they are in a shed on a large concrete base so it will soak into th econcrete outside. Not sure if this will work? but it wont keep them off the rest of the garden. I think the only thing i can do is just be with my girls whilst they are out and make sure i secure the coop the best i can. Some thing like a scarecrow that moves with movement an dmakes a noise like a sensor (security light method) would work but would not have the first clue how to make one. I have probably just made someone a millionaire ha ha please remember me. other than that i am stumped. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by