Free 7 month old cockerel in Wheatfield Indiana

Ladyhawk1028

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2017
We have a Cream Brabanter cockerel who is in need of a new home. He gets aggressive when in with the pullets but not all the time. When he's separate from them he's a sweetheart. When he is in the mood he loves chest rubs. We are not experienced enough to handle him and at this point do not wish to have any roosters. We are willing to deliver within a reasonable distance.
standing up.jpg side view.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody can handle a rooster. If you're zoned for one, keep it. My rooster is an angel who has never attacked anyone and he naps in our laps. Not only that, he doesn't sleep until we come in and give him a hug and a kiss goodnight. Roosters are beautiful and amazing, and nobody wants them. I'm not trying to be rude I just hope you might change your mind - sounds like you have a good one right there. If he's young and going through chicken puberty, he might get mildly aggressive for a little, but he should settle down within a few months to a loving boy who will die to protect the flock. This makes free ranging easier for you if you do that, roosters will fight an animal until their death to protect the girls.

We have a Cream Brabanter cockerel who is in need of a new home. He gets aggressive when in with the pullets but not all the time. When he's separate from them he's a sweetheart. When he is in the mood he loves chest rubs. We are not experienced enough to handle him and at this point do not wish to have any roosters. We are willing to deliver within a reasonable distance.
View attachment 1210953 View attachment 1210943
Is he getting aggressive with the pullets, or with people? The thing is, cockerels reach sexual maturity sooner than pullets, and it can cause all kinds of chaos in the coop. If you have room, I'd separate him until you find him a new home.
If he's getting aggressive with you, you need to give full disclosure if you find anyone who can take him. If you can't find him a new home, and he's people aggressive, it may be time to learn how to process a chicken.

Anybody can handle a rooster. If you're zoned for one, keep it. My rooster is an angel who has never attacked anyone and he naps in our laps. Not only that, he doesn't sleep until we come in and give him a hug and a kiss goodnight. Roosters are beautiful and amazing, and nobody wants them. I'm not trying to be rude I just hope you might change your mind - sounds like you have a good one right there. If he's young and going through chicken puberty, he might get mildly aggressive for a little, but he should settle down within a few months to a loving boy who will die to protect the flock. This makes free ranging easier for you if you do that, roosters will fight an animal until their death to protect the girls.
Not everyone can "handle a rooster" - especially if they are new to chickens - and shouldn't be made to feel as though they have to keep one if they don't want to.

I don't know if your rooster is truly a rooster (over a year old), or if he's a cockerel that hasn't reached breeding age yet. What I can tell you is that some cockerels/roosters don't turn out well. Some of them become human aggressive (some due to the way they're raised, some just because that's who they are) and are too dangerous to keep around to try to reform. I treat my cockerels/roosters as I would any other intact male animal. I teach them to respect my space, that I will go where I wish, and if I want them to move they will.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a hens only flock. As a matter of fact, I think it's far more responsible to rehome or process an unwanted rooster than to keep an aggressive one. They can be a huge liability.

I had a cockerel that died protecting the flock a couple of years ago. Now I don't have him. Roosters can't be relied upon as the sole protection of the flock. They make a great warning system, but so can a dominant hen. The only reason a person would need a rooster is if one wants a breeding flock. A dominant hen can do anything else you would want a rooster for.

Is he getting aggressive with the pullets, or with people? The thing is, cockerels reach sexual maturity sooner than pullets, and it can cause all kinds of chaos in the coop. If you have room, I'd separate him until you find him a new home.
If he's getting aggressive with you, you need to give full disclosure if you find anyone who can take him. If you can't find him a new home, and he's people aggressive, it may be time to learn how to process a chicken.

Not everyone can "handle a rooster" - especially if they are new to chickens - and shouldn't be made to feel as though they have to keep one if they don't want to.

I don't know if your rooster is truly a rooster (over a year old), or if he's a cockerel that hasn't reached breeding age yet. What I can tell you is that some cockerels/roosters don't turn out well. Some of them become human aggressive (some due to the way they're raised, some just because that's who they are) and are too dangerous to keep around to try to reform. I treat my cockerels/roosters as I would any other intact male animal. I teach them to respect my space, that I will go where I wish, and if I want them to move they will.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a hens only flock. As a matter of fact, I think it's far more responsible to rehome or process an unwanted rooster than to keep an aggressive one. They can be a huge liability.

I had a cockerel that died protecting the flock a couple of years ago. Now I don't have him. Roosters can't be relied upon as the sole protection of the flock. They make a great warning system, but so can a dominant hen. The only reason a person would need a rooster is if one wants a breeding flock. A dominant hen can do anything else you would want a rooster for.

I wasn't saying all turn out well, mine is over a year old, I think he's a year and six months, but I do feel they deserve a chance to look at their personalities when fully grown. I have three roosters and I understand some of them can be nasty- I have a nasty one myself, but he protects our girls well. I just was saying I hope the person would give their rooster a chance to prove himself. And if they can't find him a good home or he does become too aggressive, well, they make a good dinner out of him if necessary.

We have had him since he was about a week old. We didn't want roosters just because we didn't want to have to worry about fertilized eggs. We don't plan to hatch any eggs. In May of this year is when we first got into chickens so we are learning. We actually ended up with 2 roosters which we found out when they were about 4 months old. When they got aggressive with the pullets, we separated them by placing them in cages at night and a separate run during the day. When we lost a few of our hens and didn't have the correct ratio to the number of roosters, we re-homed one of the roosters where he is quite happy. We had planned to keep this rooster but after we reintegrated him he got very aggressive with me and my daughter. More so me because I have been unable to spend time with them and unable to assert dominance over him. The reason I am unable to assert dominance is due to a work injury I have tight restrictions and can't kneel down or squat down to pin him which is what we found worked to show him who is in charge. We currently have him back in a cage at night and in the separate run during the day. But all he does is pace the fence line cuz he's so worried about his girls. We want to find him a home where he can be happy and be with some girls and live a full life. He's too young to be dinner in our opinion. One of the reasons we want to re-home him is also cuz since he won't let me near him my daughter has to be home every evening to put him away and every morning to put him out in his run which means she can't have any overnight stays with friends or grandparents. Sorry this is so long :)

Back
Top Bottom