Free Chickens...they need some love

Aart, what is your source for lifetime withdrawal for Sevin? I don’t know what FARAD is. Google did not help. I specifically asked a Poultry Science Professor with a specialty in diseases about withdrawal after dusting with Sevin. His response was zero withdrawal. You can use the eggs immediately, even if you use Sevin to dust the nest as well as the bird. I wouldn’t anyway but that’s me being overcautious. I’d wait at least to the next day and wash them well.

There are a lot of different poisons that will do the job for fowl mites or red roost mites. To me a poison is a poison is a poison. All should be treated with respect and selected for the specific job at hand. Most can harm the environment if used wrong. Aquatic life seems to be especially at risk so yes, take precautions from any poison getting into the water system. But don’t forget dosage. There is a big difference in crop dusting a huge field with a chemical to dusting a few chickens with the same chemical.

Take precautions with any of them. Wear breathing protection. Don’t treat your chickens where the poison will immediately enter a stream or pond. These poisons break down over time, some a lot faster than others. Sunlight or exposure to air usually helps them break down pretty quickly, especially compared to having them “protected” somewhere. Use them in the open.
I believe the Sevin ban is fairly recent.
Food Animal Residue Avoidance Database -a branch if the USDA.
http://www.farad.org/

Chicken Vet group on FB......have to join to view their files.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/chic...gg-withdrawal-times-in-the-us/644298449046620

Dr. Laura Pylman DVM
Laura Chamberlain Pylman I am saying sevin dust (carbaryl) is illegal to use in any poultry as of 2010 . Not due to chicken safety issues, but due to human safety concerns when consuming eggs or meat. If you want "proof" for ANY product you can go to www.FARAD.org and request withdrawal times yourself. They always answer within 72 hours ( usually within 24).

Last edited:
If you want to give them sometime... I would just make sure that their space is clean and dry... Provide adequate amount of dust or dirt baths for them. Give them places to scratch and put Vaseline on their legs and combs for a bit. This is easy enough and cheap enough and see it they start healing. If not its up to you to use more extreme measures. Good luck with your girls. Sounds like they weren't well loved.

I just googled a Sevin poultry ban and couldn't find anything on it, and I can't see that article because I'm not in that group. I did however find this article dated this May saying that it's approved: http://www.extension.org/pages/6698...-conventional-poultry-production#.VesQpflViko I would have thought if they did ban it or say you can never use eggs from birds treated with it that it would be all over. I've used Sevin myself and of course still eat the eggs with no harm, and since it's made to be used on gardens, on food which you then eat, I'm not sure I could see that a lifetime withdrawal would have any merit. However I do see that it's labeled as a potential carcinogen.

Quick edit: I found FARAD's website and their list of prohibited drugs here: http://www.farad.org/eldu/prohibit.asp I cannot find Sevin or Carbaryl on the list.

Anyway we're kind of hijacking this thread so we may want to make another one to discuss this. I think I may call my avian vet later today and ask directly. Don't want to be giving out misinformation.

Last edited:
We cleaned up the chickens legs washed, trimmed nails (many were really bad, twisted some missing). All have scaly leg mites to different degrees treated all of those. This was one of my last birds had really bad scaly leg mites but one of the toes is red and swollen, is this just from the mites or something else? No open sore nothing on the back of the foot, just that one toe. Also how often do I retreat for the leg mites with the Vaseline.

We cleaned up the chickens legs washed, trimmed nails (many were really bad, twisted some missing). All have scaly leg mites to different degrees treated all of those. This was one of my last birds had really bad scaly leg mites but one of the toes is red and swollen, is this just from the mites or something else? No open sore nothing on the back of the foot, just that one toe. Also how often do I retreat for the leg mites with the Vaseline.
Slather Vaseline on at least daily. The goal is to smother them so you have to apply it often enough that it doesn't wear off.

Last edited:
Sorry for the hijack but to me it is an interesting topic.

http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/layinghenseggresidues.pdf

On page 26 of this document I found some info on Carbaryl. The way I read it if you give it internally there is a withdrawal period. If used as a dust, no withdrawal period but please, someone check me out. If it is sprayed in the hen house there is a withdrawal period. Actually they don’t give a withdrawal period, just how long the product is detected after treatment. Other products are shown too.

Looks like a 2011 publishing date so relatively recent.

A key to reading Table 12,
Y = yolk
A = albumen (whites)
WE = whole egg

I’ve never been faced with Scaly Leg Mites but found these two write-ups, one from New Hampshire and one from Vermont Universities. Maybe they can help but they are somewhat contradictory. Treat weekly for however long or every 3 to 4 days for two weeks.

https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000790_Rep811.pdf
The scaly leg mite is much smaller than the other mites, about 1/100-inch long. It crawls under the scales on the chickens’ legs and chews the tissue under the scales. The legs of infested chickens get thick and crust over; in severe cases the swelling gets so bad that blood supply to the toes of the bird is compromised and it may lose toes. More frequently a problem of older birds, scaly leg mite can also affect young birds kept with infested older birds. The scaly leg mite spends its entire life on the bird. Once a bird is infested it is difficult to impossible to eliminate the infection. Cull severely affected birds. In less severe or early infestations; coat the bird’s legs with vaseline or mineral oil weekly to smother the mites.
Treat all birds in the flock to prevent re-infestation from other birds.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1098/2902-1098_pdf.pdf
Scaly leg mites in chickens can cause lameness. Scaly leg mites bore under the scales on the legs of the chicken. The scales enlarge, get rough and become infected. If not treated early the bird may go lame.
To treat, soak the bird's legs in an oil or cream to suffocate the mites. Treat every 3 to 4 days for 2 weeks. The old scales will then fall off over time and be replaced with new scales.

That kind of looks like bumble foot... Mites may have caused an infection... Is there a cyst or just swollen??? I don't know how well Vaseline helps infection... I would research but infections can spread so make her comfy and clean... Soft flooring. Poor baby. I had a similar case and just did exactly like you did and they all healed pretty fast but they were chicks that weren't taken care of in bad condition we rescued. Good luck.

Sorry for the hijack but to me it is an interesting topic.

http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/layinghenseggresidues.pdf

On page 26 of this document I found some info on Carbaryl. The way I read it if you give it internally there is a withdrawal period. If used as a dust, no withdrawal period but please, someone check me out. If it is sprayed in the hen house there is a withdrawal period. Actually they don’t give a withdrawal period, just how long the product is detected after treatment. Other products are shown too.

Looks like a 2011 publishing date so relatively recent.

A key to reading Table 12,
Y = yolk
A = albumen (whites)
WE = whole egg
Can't concentrate to read thru it now but will bookmark it for later.

From what I remember from the recent discussion(s) on the vet group......
.....if detection occurs after 2 months it is given lifetime 'withdrawal', and I think I remember her saying that was a recent update.

The stuff is nasty, but I am very leery of any injudicious use of chemicals, especially when it comes to what I am growing to eat.

Also one of them after having to chase her down a little was wheezing, but after she calmed down she stopped, is this respiratory issue or just because she was running like mad to get from me?

Just a heads up that if you decide to go with Permethrin, it is extremely toxic to cats, which is why I don't recommend it. I never know if someone has cats or not. It's also very toxic to fish, so I wouldn't use it if you live near a river or pond.

Just a heads up that if you decide to go with Permethrin, it is extremely toxic to cats, which is why I don't recommend it. I never know if someone has cats or not. It's also very toxic to fish, so I wouldn't use it if you live near a river or pond.

That's true, just learned that myself...wonder if Sevin wold kill a cat?......
.......almost any pesticide is going to be detrimental to aquatic life.
Having honeybees, both Permethrin and even more so, Sevin are banned from my yard. I rarely have any birds with mites but when I I do I bathe them with Dawn. It may take a few treatments but it's better than losing my hives.

Back
Top Bottom