Is my rooster molting?

LindsayDarling

Songster
May 26, 2023
Lake County California
Ive had my flock for 8 mos. Still a newb. I noticed my roo has lost his long tail feathers, but has some growth coming in- all over. His mane ( is that what its called?) Looks really thin right now also. Ive treated repeatedly for depluming mites. Ive got them all healthy through blood sweat and tears. I dont believe its depluming mites, my roo never really had them like the other hens that brought them did. Heres some pics. I dnt know what to expect for a molt. Is this molt? Shall I treat for mites again?

Attachments

• 20231013_144300.jpg
    20231013_144300.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231013_144246.jpg
    20231013_144246.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 7
Could you get catch him and lift his neck feathers up and get pictures?
If you see new feathers coming in (pin feathers), he is molting. If you don’t, it could be lice (Although he probably doesn’t have them since you’ve treated for depluming mites, right? ). Cause I’ve had lice in my flock and some of their neck feathers looked like his.

Could you get catch him and lift his neck feathers up and get pictures?
If you see new feathers coming in (pin feathers), he is molting. If you don’t, it could be lice (Although he probably doesn’t have them since you’ve treated for depluming mites, right? ). Cause I’ve had lice in my flock and some of their neck feathers looked like his.
I will try to look him over! Is the treatment for lice the same as mites? Ivermectin pour on?

What a fine looking boy!

I will try to look him over! Is the treatment for lice the same as mites? Ivermectin pour on?

Some people say that ivermectin treats lice but a lot of people recommend a permethrin spray or powder for lice because they eat the dead skin rather than living tissue, therefore the ivermectin may not reach them as it would mites.

Also if you are in America then it is Autumn time which makes sense for a moult. The moult begins at the neck which is why those feather may change first. Have you seen any feathers around?

Check his crop is full in evening and empty in morning for good measure.

Ive had my flock for 8 mos. Still a newb. I noticed my roo has lost his long tail feathers, but has some growth coming in- all over. His mane ( is that what its called?) Looks really thin right now also. Ive treated repeatedly for depluming mites. Ive got them all healthy through blood sweat and tears. I dont believe its depluming mites, my roo never really had them like the other hens that brought them did. Heres some pics. I dnt know what to expect for a molt. Is this molt? Shall I treat for mites again?
How old is he, in months?
If he's 14mo or older most likely it's molting.
Always good to check for bugs, especially if you've seen them before.
Not good to treat unless the bugs are actually there.

Bug Check:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

What a fine looking boy!

Some people say that ivermectin treats lice but a lot of people recommend a permethrin spray or powder for lice because they eat the dead skin rather than living tissue, therefore the ivermectin may not reach them as it would mites.

Also if you are in America then it is Autumn time which makes sense for a moult. The moult begins at the neck which is why those feather may change first. Have you seen any feathers around?

Check his crop is full in evening and empty in morning for good measure.
It is Autumn here! I have seen feathers around. One of my hens molted and there were lots of feathers and now shes the softest hen. My roo is hard to catch and inspect. Ive dealt w mites and worms and other issue so I want to make sure its molt! Im gonna check them at night to make sure. Thank you!

How old is he, in months?
If he's 14mo or older most likely it's molting.
Always good to check for bugs, especially if you've seen them before.
Not good to treat unless the bugs are actually there.

Bug Check:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
I believe he was hatched Spring of 2022 so over 14 mos. I will def check for bugs tonight. Thanks for the links. He is so hard to inspect! But I need to make sure! Ive dealt w several issues with them and cannot rest til I know. I hope its molt🙏

A good tip if you see dirt on the skin or around the base of feathers and you’re not sure if it’s mite dirt or just regular dirt is to wet a piece of toilet paper and press it against the dirt. Regular dirt won’t change on the paper but mite dirt will “bleed” out into the paper.

Back
Top Bottom