Free Chickens...they need some love

walker1229

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
I received 5 laying hens and a rooster today, they all seem ok at first look, but then I noticed they have scaly leg mites, looked up old threads and have a plan for tomorrow. I saw one hen with a slight bear spot on her back by the tail, I figured it might have been from the rooster getting friendly...but then I noticed the rooster has a similar spot, it is getting cold could it be molting or mites? Also a couple of them have pretty long toe nails, some lay sideways when they stand, but not permanently they will move from side to side, should I trim these?

If you want to give them sometime... I would just make sure that their space is clean and dry... Provide adequate amount of dust or dirt baths for them. Give them places to scratch and put Vaseline on their legs and combs for a bit. This is easy enough and cheap enough and see it they start healing. If not its up to you to use more extreme measures. Good luck with your girls. Sounds like they weren't well loved.

DE is a preventative, but doesn't help with an active infestation. You should actually dust with Sevin dust, which comes in a red bottle and can be found in the garden section of places like Tractor Supply or Walmart. Dust the birds and clean out the coop and dust it too, and then do it again in a week to kill the eggs that will have hatched since the first dusting, since the dust only kills lice and mites and not their eggs.

Aart, what is your source for lifetime withdrawal for Sevin? I don’t know what FARAD is. Google did not help. I specifically asked a Poultry Science Professor with a specialty in diseases about withdrawal after dusting with Sevin. His response was zero withdrawal. You can use the eggs immediately, even if you use Sevin to dust the nest as well as the bird. I wouldn’t anyway but that’s me being overcautious. I’d wait at least to the next day and wash them well.

There are a lot of different poisons that will do the job for fowl mites or red roost mites. To me a poison is a poison is a poison. All should be treated with respect and selected for the specific job at hand. Most can harm the environment if used wrong. Aquatic life seems to be especially at risk so yes, take precautions from any poison getting into the water system. But don’t forget dosage. There is a big difference in crop dusting a huge field with a chemical to dusting a few chickens with the same chemical.

Take precautions with any of them. Wear breathing protection. Don’t treat your chickens where the poison will immediately enter a stream or pond. These poisons break down over time, some a lot faster than others. Sunlight or exposure to air usually helps them break down pretty quickly, especially compared to having them “protected” somewhere. Use them in the open.

We cleaned up the chickens legs washed, trimmed nails (many were really bad, twisted some missing). All have scaly leg mites to different degrees treated all of those. This was one of my last birds had really bad scaly leg mites but one of the toes is red and swollen, is this just from the mites or something else? No open sore nothing on the back of the foot, just that one toe. Also how often do I retreat for the leg mites with the Vaseline.
Slather Vaseline on at least daily. The goal is to smother them so you have to apply it often enough that it doesn't wear off.

Last edited:
Just a heads up that if you decide to go with Permethrin, it is extremely toxic to cats, which is why I don't recommend it. I never know if someone has cats or not. It's also very toxic to fish, so I wouldn't use it if you live near a river or pond.

Just a heads up that if you decide to go with Permethrin, it is extremely toxic to cats, which is why I don't recommend it. I never know if someone has cats or not. It's also very toxic to fish, so I wouldn't use it if you live near a river or pond.

That's true, just learned that myself...wonder if Sevin wold kill a cat?......
.......almost any pesticide is going to be detrimental to aquatic life.
Having honeybees, both Permethrin and even more so, Sevin are banned from my yard. I rarely have any birds with mites but when I I do I bathe them with Dawn. It may take a few treatments but it's better than losing my hives.

Also one of them after having to chase her down a little was wheezing, but after she calmed down she stopped, is this respiratory issue or just because she was running like mad to get from me?

I'm getting a little lost in this thread. Birds can wheeze for different reasons. I would see if it's a continual problem before treating... The birds haven't had a good home at all so I think just what you are already doing and providing them with a clean home is good. I don't treat for respiratory problems because if it is a cold it will clear up if it is more they will be carriers so I kind of let you nature take its course... I know that's sad. Keep an eye out... If you need to... Antibiotics are available at a feed store and you can treat them all. Hang in there and give them time to heal!!! A clean spot, heat and Vaseline on the legs!!!! Hope this helps.

Besides mites, from your description I wonder if they're feather picking each other. You'll just have to watch for that, or if things don't get better with mite treatment. Picking is often the result of birds being confined too closely, and can be linked to too low protein feed. however, once they start, fixing the space and the feed doesn't always fix the picking. Things like pinless peepers may be needed down the road....just something to keep an eye on. In the meantime, feed them something like unmedicated chick starter or grower, for the protein boost, and give them lots of space.

Back
Top Bottom