Free choice or not

We do not have small rodents reptiles or wild animals eating the chicks food. We have cardinals that fly around but can’t get in. We have a predator proof run with 1/2 inch HWC and netting over outdoor run then the roofed coop/run is padlocked with sane HWC to block all ventilation areas from small rodents or predators. So nothing snoops around the coop. I pull feed at night and leave hanging waterer. My feeders are hung in morning. I feed 1/4-1/3 lb per bird per day while growing and 1/4 lb per bird once at breed weight and maintenance.

This issue was solved in 2012 right here on BYC forum. Do a forum search on the rat proof chicken feeder. Gonna cost you $100 to get a decent feeder shipped in if you are on one of the coasts, around $80.00 if you are in fly over country, but it solves the problem once and for all. You will need to replace springs on the door as they fatigue and break. If you don't keep the feeder up out of the corrosive poo you will eventually have to replace the feeder or patch the bottom that has rotted out, but a good feeder is going to save so much in feed and your flock will have much less disease and pests brought in.

Constant feed means more eggs and faster growing meat birds. Plus not having to lug the feed in and out every morning. Plastic feeders get chewed through. Rats and mice will feed during the day so don't kid yourself that you have solved the problem by bringing the feed in at night.

If you don't keep the feeder up out of the corrosive poo you will eventually have to replace the feeder or patch the bottom that has rotted out

Has anyone in Hawaii used this? I'm in a damp climate here, that gets hot in the day, and cold at night. Temperatures can swing 30 degrees or more. That means condensation that can ruin feed, in a metal feeder. Would love to hear feedback on this.

I have a 5 gal bucket feeder also, but I dont use it since I made the tote, I have 12 chickens now, had 15, and the tote feeds 8 at a time versus 3 in the bucket.
I need to figure out how to hang the tote, I like the idea
Thank you everyone for your responses

You might want to make a hanging table.

I've found that the only reliable way to prevent rodents from getting at the food at night is to put the feeder into a metal garbage can and close the lid on it. Mice, and rats in particular, can chew right through plastic, even PVC pipe. If you cover the ports, they'll chew through they may chew through the wall of the bin to get at the feed.

I see the chickens every now and then catching a mice
Was wondering why they wouldn't be eating the mice! They are already a big deterrent - if they're onto it, the mice probably won't be visiting while they're around and are waiting till early dusk when the chickens are tucking in to come out then.
A grandpa feeder would be the surest way to eliminate the problem, but not a cheap solution - unless you can rodent-proof the run 'if there is a run' as well.

When I free range my flock I can't start an outside project or leave for a second otherwise the squirrels head for the coops to eat the feed. For this reason I have to stand guard close to coop entrance or close the coop doors while they're out. I hate to close doors because my girls like to have a safe place and will dash for coop when they are frightened. Before the squirrels discovered the chicken feed it was nice... I could walk around fenced in area and pick up sticks and rake a bit or just fiddle faddle around. These darn squirrels are always scratching and have bald areas so I'm sure they are covered in bugs.:hmm

Hello @aart can you please elaborate on the kind of traps you set that are animal friendly? Thank you
I've tried many traps, but the old style snap traps with the smaller trigger(see pic below) work the best, IMO.

Not sure what you mean by 'animal friendly'?
I set them up where the chickens and dogs can't get at them,
either up high or under a milk crate or wire basket.

upload_2019-10-23_7-59-7.png

Back
Top Bottom