Free Legal Advice Is Worth What You Pay For It

good advice yes sticky please!
I live 4 miles from "town" and in the middle of 8 acres (only rent 1) and live in the middle of what I tought was country side, only naibor close by is across the road and he loves free fresh eggs!

But I found out the land is commercial on a busy highway and I had to give up 40 that I had for close to a year.
hit.gif

The only reason we moved here was to be close to my husbands job " in the country" ----that he got laid off from. we're moving

I live 4 miles from "town" and in the middle of 8 acres (only rent 1) and live in the middle of what I tought was country side, only naibor close by is across the road and he loves free fresh eggs!

But I found out the land is commercial on a busy highway and I had to give up 40 that I had for close to a year. hit
The only reason we moved here was to be close to my husbands job " in the country" ----that he got laid off from. we're moving

Good luck with your move, and I hope that you find a place where you can have all the birds you want.

Christina

Big Peep:

Thanks for posting this info. My husband is an attorney and I was in law (human resources for the attorneys) and we have been surprised at how many people just set up shop with poultry without checking local ordinances, etc.

There was a local woman this past summer who made local headlines when neighbors complained about her son's 35 hens and 2 roos on a 1/2 acre lot (including large home) in a McMansion subdivision. She had people really whipped up on support and the neighbors were being villified. She was featured on the "Chicken Whisperer". I contacted her to lend my support and she knew my husband was an attorney. At my prodding my husband quietly contacted her to help sort through the paperwork and deal with the local authorities, etc. While her property was technically grandfathered and the local authorities couldn't enforce anything in terms of fines, etc., ....ooops! the homeowner had forgotten that she had signed a covenant with her deed specifically stipulating that she would never erect poultry housing or keep chickens.

The good news is a farmer in the next town let the boy keep his flock at his place as long as the boy took care of them. So, a happy ending.
smile.png

8hipchicks,

I wonder who really IS the "chicken whisperer" I have seen a chicken whisperer sn here but not sure if that is even the real "chicken whisperer" person from the show?

- Tommy

As many on BYC forum know I have been fighting for over a year and my lawyer is the former Governor of GA who also has chickens of his own. The judge in my case ruled chickens are legal last May so the city just wrote new ordinance and DIDN'T grandfather me in. They say you can't fight city hall but I am here to tell you YOU CAN.

Right now our State Representatives are stepping in and have proposed a STATE LAW that will allow families to have gardens, chickens, rabbits and goats for personal use.

That is a picture of one of my hens; HENrietta on the cover of our local paper!!!

Please read about it here:

http://www.beaconcastmedia.com/

If you want to see about the case you can just google my name: "Andrew Wordes" or "Roswell Chicken Man" or "Roswell Chicken Fight".

As always,

God Bless America, Little Piggies and Roosters!
Colt .45, God's answer to unanswered prayers.

Respectfully,

Andrew S. Wordes (The Roswell Chickenman)
Phoebe Farms, USDA/NPIP Certificate #1097GA
Organizer North Georgia Pet Chicken Meetup Group
Founding Member, Registered Breeder Marans of America Club
Instructor, Member, Oakhurst Community Garden Project
Member, Society for The Preservation of Poultry Antiquities
Member, United Orpingtons Club
Member, Georgia Farm Bureau
Member, Tennesee Farm Bureau
GA State Registered Lobbyist

Please do not make the same post on numerous threads. It is against BYC rules. You have a thread. Make your posts THERE. My time is too valuable to spend reading hte same thing three times!

red hen I think I would ask if they have a live stock law and go from there chickens are often covered on live stock restrictions get some kind of proof then if they try to change the law to accomidate someone else you are grandfathered in

There are laws here in Sacramento that forbid anyone from having chickens. Luckily, I live in the same neighborhood as our mayor and we just coincidentally happen to have our Saturday morning coffee at the same coffee house every weekend. This morning, I bucked up, approached him, introduced myself, shook his hand, and directly suggested that chicken-keeping be legalized in the city of Sacramento. I told him that I think the city should issue permits to those who wish to keep chickens and, in a city that is hurting for funding for public safety, as a citizen of this city I would be more than happy to pay a fee such as $50 a year for a permit to keep up to 6 laying hens in my yard and have healthy eggs to feed my family. Without admitting that I myself may or may not keep chickens, I told him that in the 3-block stretch my street sits on, I know at least 4 families who have chickens, just on one little 3-block street! That could generate $200 a year for the city, just this street alone, and that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people in Sacramento who would gladly pay for a permit to keep their chickens legally.

He smiled, said he really has not been in favor of chicken-keeping in the city (gotta love his honesty) but that he likes my idea and sees it as a means to an end, a way to generate revenue to help improve the public safety and budget issues, and gave me his card, asked me to e-mail him on it and said he would let me know when the next city council meeting is that will be addressing the chicken issue. He told me they will be voting on it soon. I told him I think it's a win/win situation for the city, and he wants to hear my ideas and invited me to attend the next city council meeting.

You can bet your sweet eggshell I'm gonna be there!

I am in the process of compiling information in an appropriate format to address the city council. I'm as nervous about it as they come, but there is already open dialog on the subject; and I think showing up with a prepared address and data for the council to look over, it'll be a step in the direct direction for us.

I can't believe I walked up to the mayor of Sacramento to talk to him about chickens, but I did it and now at least he's thinking about it!

Quote:
That is not always true. Many communities have "Nuisance Ordinances" directed at public health issues. One classic example of a nuisance law that most communities have is a restriction against noxious weeds and grass height. If your chickens make a neighbor sick the city may take action, especially if your city issues local permits.

Back
Top Bottom