Free Legal Advice Is Worth What You Pay For It

so what did you do with your shipment of chicks Matt? And how is your relationship with your neighbor? I mean, did they just mention that there are restrictions as conversation or did they mention it trying to stiff arm you into not being able to have the chickens? and if thats the case - are you certain it is? I might even mention that you are aware of certain restrictions that get ignored all the time and no one is really bothered either way. Of course this conversation must be amiable, good natured and friendly but also politely matter of fact.

I would have to have them come out and say it point blank on their own that they don't want you to have chickens, and then tell you why. But in the meantime I would be as civil and social as possible, let them feel that they have SOME consideration on your part. I know if my neighbors got to be mean about things and force an issue, they'd be stirring up a hornet's nest with me.

There are lots of people that bend the rules in a neighborhood, untagged cars, no building permits, multi family residencies, unlicensed dogs, etc etc..... I would be tempted to approach the subject again with the neighbor offhanded and casually saying, "I don't think anyone will complain about a few pet birds do you? I've done my research and plan to take good care of them etc etc and even major cities allow people to keep a few hens nowadays....etc etc.

forgive me for being lengthy and please understand that I don't mean to beat you with this opinion... only you know the full scope of the situation, but even still I'd go for it. Having chickens for a little while beats not having them at all! :) and you just never know. I find it so hard to believe that someone couldn't keep some pet birds, ducks chickens, parrots whatever.

Yes the one neighbor with all the critters kinda spoiled it for me. The other neighbor was polite but firm that he was going to be sticking to the covenants that say no poultry whatsoever.
The lawsuit is in progress between those two neighbors.
202roosterlane bought the chicks and will keep me posted as they grow up. I preferred to let them go before I got attached to them.
I'll turn the coop into a work room for my sculpture. I may even populate my yard with life sized ceramic chickens.. or larger then lifesized.

Watch out for "The Revenge of the 7 Foot Chicken" BLAA HAA HAA !

There's no dang blasted covenants about sculptures.

frow.gif
Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC and was wondering if anyone is from CT? I was looking for any laws on having chickens in Plainville and can't find anything anywhere. I would really love some info, but I havn't been able to find anything.

I checked with animal control director in regards to our area and checked with the former director of animal control regarding my daughters home town. Sometimes it is very useful to talk to trees and have lots and lots of connections in the animal world. I was told exactly what I could and could not do and what was enforced and what was pretty much looked the other way on regarding chickens in an area. We are rural but she is very urban. Chickens were allowed but roosters were not in her area and in our area both chickens and roosters were allowed but if they cross off of our property they become a neighborhood nuisance so that had to be prevented from happening at all cost. Most cities are becoming more and more tolerant of chickens and some are even tolerant of roosters, but for the most part as long as you don't cause an issue their is no need for involvement by those in charge. We work closely with our local animal control because I have found having a healthy working relationship with them is very beneficial to clearing up any problems that might occur in the future. Just a friendly tip.

In my current fight with my HOA (homeowners association) I discovered that in our CCR (rules of the HOA) there is a loophole that states that the CCR MUST defer to the city ordinances -- so read your fine print. I now need to get waivers from all the neighbors whose houses are within 200 feet of where the chicken tractor might be (I mean jeepers I want 2-3 chickens total, are you guys serious? get something to do with your time besides bother other people) that they have no problem with us having the chickens... and then poof the CCR has to be amended.

Don't mess with this chicken mama.

don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom