Free-Loading Hens???

GHFarmGirl

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Mills River, NC
I bought 5 day-old Silverlace and 4 Golden Comets the week before Easter. I was told that the GC are early layers and will lay as early as 16 weeks. Well...the free-loaders are now nearly 6 months old and not one egg from any of them!!! They have been on layer feed since 18 weeks, and are great big beauties! There was one chick that they said was a GC who ended up being a NHR. She started laying 3 weeks ago. So, we have had one egg a day from that little sweetie, but I keep wondering what is up with her sisters!?!
hmm.png

Last edited:
I bought 5 day-old Silverlace and 4 Golden Comets the week before Easter. I was told that the GC are early layers and will lay as early as 16 weeks. Well...the free-loaders are now nearly 6 months old and not one egg from any of them!!! They have been on layer feed since 18 weeks, and are great big beauties! There was one chick that they said was a GC who ended up being a NHR. She started laying 3 weeks ago. So, we have had one egg a day from that little sweetie, but I keep wondering what is up with her sisters!?!
hmm.png

Can you post photos of the birds in question - it can help to see the bird to assess whether they are showing the signs of being near production or not. They really aren't at an age yet where I'd be at all concerned by a lack of laying.

X2, pictures might help figure out what is up. Are any of the other ones squatting for you? Normally crosses like the comets would be laying by six months, is it possible they were all misidentified? Could they be hiding eggs somewhere?

I will try to get glamor shots of the girls tomorrow. Several have red combs and full wattles. No hidden eggs, and no squatting from any but my NHR. My neighbor bought several Silverlace from the same Feedstore on the same day and hers are laying already. I am certain that my others are Golden Comets. They are really happy hens and very social. I just can't figure out why they haven't put on their big-girl panties yet!

Do they free range? They can be veeerrry sneaky about hiding nests.

IME they can go red, do the squat, and have spread pelvic bones a couple weeks before commencement of lay.

Can you post photos of the birds in question - it can help to see the bird to assess whether they are showing the signs of being near production or not.  They really aren't at an age yet where I'd be at all concerned by a lack of laying.

X2, pictures might help figure out what is up. Are any of the other ones squatting for you? Normally crosses like the comets would be laying by six months, is it possible they were all misidentified? Could they be hiding eggs somewhere?

Do they free range? They can be veeerrry sneaky about hiding nests.

IME they can go red, do the squat, and have spread pelvic bones a couple weeks before commencement of lay.
[/IMG][/IMG]
Here are a few pics of our girls.

Back
Top Bottom