Free-loading White Leghorn

gailmac

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Blue Mountains Australia
I would like to get some advice on my yet-to-lay White Leghorn.
I am new to the chicken ownership club and am not sure what is going on.
I bought the WL when she was approx 16 weeks (thats as near to her age as I can get as the produce store owner was fairly vague as to when she
was due to lay - he said in about 4ish weeks) - that was back at the end of Nov 09 and now I've had for for 2 months and still no eggs.
I am feeding her a pullet food form the produce store, feeding her some table scraps and she is free ranging for about 4-6 hours a day.
Her comb and chheks are red, but she doesn't yet have a "fluffy bottom". The produce store man said I have slowed down her maturity by
free-ranging her and giving her table scraps. Is this so?
smile.png

Gail
Blue Mountains NSW Australia

I have leghorns, and let me tell you! My oldest pullet I bought at two weeks old in June, and she didn't start to lay till Dec! My other three are 5 months, and one of them layed her first egg today!
celebrate.gif

Make sure they are getting at least 10 hours of daylight, egg mash, and a good diet of other foods, like you are doing, and they will lay for you. BUT only when they are ready! My girls have been stubborn, but they will lay! Also if it's to hot or cold it can effect them laying.
thumbsup.gif

If she is free ranging she could be hiding the eggs from you. I have a light brown leghorn that regularly lays her egg in the oleanders. I found her spot and collect her egg daily.

Time for an egg hunt.

Back
Top Bottom