Free Range Muscovys

muscovymomma

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Hello- I have ten 1 week old Muscovy babies and they are as cute as can be. We have a weekend house that we go to on the weekends to relax and unwind and get out of town. (Its about 1.5 hours from where we live). We have a fishing hole out there that the grandkids love to fish but lately the moss and algae and cat tails have taken over. I was curious if I could take a few ducks down there to eat the water plants and forage. We are in the Texas panhandle so there is no shortage of insects for them to hunt. My biggest concern with them being out there is not being able to pin them up at night and them wondering off because they are not getting fed regularly. (which, we were thinking about adding a few feeders that may hold them over for a while. we already have deer feeders down there but not many deer.) Should I clip the wing? Will they stay if I dont? Also, if I do clip their wing, would they still be able to get to their roost (think of a platform bed with a roof over it about 5 feet off the ground)

Any advice would be helpful!
oh and also, at what age would you be comfortable taking them down there? I would just really love for them to be there when we go, and watch them in the pond!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest posting your question on the "Duck" forum for the best advice.

All the best
CT

I would think - left alone, that wild birds will deplete their feed and predators may take off with your ducks especially if you clip a wing.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm going to move this thread down to the ducks forum for you, so you can get some advice from our duckie people.

Back
Top Bottom