Free range vs the run

Tor7039

Chirping
May 18, 2020
I am here to post again! Of course. Haha.

In my last few posts I’ve been talking about our duck run we built and posted some pics, it’s 16x12.5. The coop is on the outside with the door open to the inside. Everything is predator proof.
My reason for posting now is because I was talking to a friend and she made a comment about how I’m seriously depriving my ducks of a good life because they’re not free range and partially making them suffer... Is this true? She kept saying I should re home them to a farm that has all of that for them. I was just really taken aback. We have a big yard but the predator problem is a lot worse than we originally thought when we got our ducks. I am almost certain they will be killed if they are free range.

I have zero problems with anyone who does free range and I’ve seen soooo many lovely ponds and yards for ducks. I just want to make sure I’m not depriving them and making them suffer like this “friend” is talking about. My plan is to take them out in the yard when I am home from work and able to supervise them. The run is 198 square feet as well

In my last few posts I’ve been talking about our duck run we built and posted some pics, it’s 16x12.5. The coop is on the outside with the door open to the inside. Everything is predator proof.
My reason for posting now is because I was talking to a friend and she made a comment about how I’m seriously depriving my ducks of a good life because they’re not free range and partially making them suffer... Is this true? She kept saying I should re home them to a farm that has all of that for them. I was just really taken aback. We have a big yard but the predator problem is a lot worse than we originally thought when we got our ducks. I am almost certain they will be killed if they are free range.

I have zero problems with anyone who does free range and I’ve seen soooo many lovely ponds and yards for ducks. I just want to make sure I’m not depriving them and making them suffer like this “friend” is talking about. My plan is to take them out in the yard when I am home from work and able to supervise them. The run is 198 square feet as well
I think you are 100% right! I feel exactly the same way. I've got a big yard (10 acres) and a big run that is covered on the top with welded wire and hardware cloth on the sides. I had lost 2 ducks to predators before we did that. One predator was a snake and the other was a falcon. I didn't want to lose any more.

So we built a fortress which is about 40' x 50', maybe more. Totally covered all the way around including the top and we did it the best we could. I'm sure it's not 100% perfect but it's a whole lot better than most.

My 19 ducks have blueberry bushes to lay underneath in the shade, they've got a Christmas tree that I hung horizontally that they love to lay under and peck at for bugs. They've got plenty of grass, dirt and 2 pools to swim in. There is a little pallet "shack" they can get into if it rains or just to rest. I've got all kinds of little areas that they can use for laying, resting or whatever they want to do that are out of the weather. I have plenty of shade for them and I think they have a pretty good life.

The young 9 I often take out into the yard right by the run door to play in the long grass and explore while I'm washing out the water buckets at night. My border collie lays right next to them and makes sure they don't wander off. They stick very close to the barn and if I call them they come a'runnin'.

I have had coyotes come out of the woods before the sun went down and go after my dogs, I've got hawks all over as well as that evil falcon. Also have owls flying low at dusk. I'm not willing to let my ducks fall prey to any of that and there is no reason to with the set up I've got.

So @Tor7039 keep doing what you're doing and don't feel guilty about it. Sounds like you take very good care of your ducks and I bet they are loving life!

If you have only a small flock of ducks, you have plenty of room in the run to make them happy. It's true, free range poultry are happier, but as long as they have a big enough run your ducks won't be miserable.

I free range my chickens during the day and lock them in at night because of predators. In eight years of raising chickens, I have only had one problem with predators during the day. But I don't have a ton of predators near me either.

If you don't want to free range your poultry, no one has the right to critic you for wanting to protect your ducks. Keep up what you are doing, and maybe let them outside every once in a while while you are outside, and they will be happy.
:thumbsup

Is this advice coming from someone who has Ducks or not? :confused:

I'm going to be doing the exact same thing, so clearly, I feel it's totally sensible.

you are just fine you are not depriving them of anything i free range mine only when I'm
Outside my husband laughed at me when I put bird net on poles 7ft in the air over a big chunk of our yard till a hawk get caught in it it was trying to eat my chickens i have a secure run for my flock and they only free range when I'm outside its most of the day I'm a sahm but if I need to leave they all go in the run no way not takin that chance don't worry you are being a good flock mom

@DuckyDonna Thank you for this, made me feel a lot better. Sounds like your duckies have a great life and a wonderful set up!!! The predator problem just is too much for me to even risk letting them out alone. I can’t do it. I’m going to try to let them out a few times a week for an hour or two to forage.

I guess another question is, so I think they’re able to forage in their run...but if they’re not foraging enough in there is that a problem? Do they absolutely need nutrients from foraging in the yard? Or is their feed, water and occasional treats okay? I will try to let them forage when I can but I want to make sure by me not letting them forage in the yard all day, I’m not depriving them of nutrients out there or anything. If that makes sense!

Last edited:
If you have only a small flock of ducks, you have plenty of room in the run to make them happy. It's true, free range poultry are happier, but as long as they have a big enough run your ducks won't be miserable.

I free range my chickens during the day and lock them in at night because of predators. In eight years of raising chickens, I have only had one problem with predators during the day. But I don't have a ton of predators near me either.

If you don't want to free range your poultry, no one has the right to critic you for wanting to protect your ducks. Keep up what you are doing, and maybe let them outside every once in a while while you are outside, and they will be happy.
:thumbsup
Thank you! That’s the plan, try to let them out every once in a while so they can free range. We only have 4 ducks so I think the 16x12 run should be big enough for them!

Is this advice coming from someone who has Ducks or not? :confused:
She only has chickens now because she lost her ducks to a predator over a year ago. Kind of ironic she was guilting me about not free ranging them when she had the same issue. She said she’d rather them live a nice life free ranging even if it means getting eaten by a predator. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect her choice to free range so it was a little sad that she made me feel so terrible about my decision!

Back
Top Bottom