Free Ranging Mixed Flock For First Time

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Hi there!

I have 6 bantams, 3 guineas, and 8 standard chicks all about 9 weeks old that I am ready to start free ranging in the evenings until they are a bit bigger and can free range all day with my 5 month old flock of chickens and ducks. They have been in the coop at night with the older flock for over 2 weeks. They jump into the coop by themselves after the older flock is tucked in for the night. I open the access door and in they go!

I’ve read about free ranging one Guinea at a time. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions about how to go about this. I can let one out. Should I let some of the bigger standards out with it? How do I decide who should be first? The more outgoing ones or the more timid ones? I’ve had a handful of times that a chick or Guinea would escape the temporary run they are in and they go into a panic trying to get back in with the others.

Just looking for practical suggestions on how to navigate this! The guineas make me nervous!

Sorry, 3.5 weeks in the run beside the coop during the day. In the coop at night for 2.5 weeks. I had to go back and check. Time is flying this summer!
@SmiYa0126 still the same suggestion? I think I have at least one female Guinea. She’s much smaller than the other two. If I do have an issue with aggression, do you have opinions on keeping only 1 or 2 guineas with a flock of chickens?

Ok, another week to keep them in. I had to re-home my males, they tore the feathers from the my hens wings and terrorized them because they didn't understand the guinea hen mating rituals. If you're going to keep guinea females you're going to need a male as well. I would only keep one male and the females and then observe their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom