free ranging Peas where do yours roost at night?

sasglm

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Central North Carolina
Trying to figure why my Pea is roosting on the ground out in the woods.
we have lots of trees if he wanted to get up in one, several sheds and shelters he could jump up on.
I walked out this morning to say Hi to him and take him his morning slice of bread, and I got him full displaying his train to me. I didn't have my phone to take a picture, but for the better part of 3 minutes he displayed and circled his display 360deg a few times.
No noises though. He's been spending his days around the junk in the barn, mowers,4wheelers and other stuff... it's a dirt floor so I'm not sure if he prefers dry dirt to lay on than straw or hay.

He returns to his cage on days when it rains and gets up on his 6ft high 2x4 perch under the shelter to stay dry.
I've not seen him fly or try to fly up on anything yet. I've seen him one evening right before dark looking up trying to see if he could get up to a part of my tractor, but then walked away and slept in the woods.

Nothing has found him yet, but I'm afraid it's only a matter of time if he continues roosting on the ground.

thanks
gary

Hello!
This may not be helpful, but my boy Peggy slept on the ground when he was penned because he has a bad leg (an old break). His leg has gotten much stronger since then, but I think he was avoiding a hard landing on his leg. When he free ranged again, he slept at the top of a tree but often limped after flying all the way down.

I wonder if your boy may have a leg problem? Or, if he has been penned, maybe he doesn't yet have enough flying time to develop the strong muscles needed for flying down from the trees?

leg problems, I don't think so, he walks fine and hops up fine in his cage onto 2 cinder blocks and then fly's his way up to the 6ft high 2x4. and glides down to the ground without issue.

it could be after the last 4 months mostly in the cage he's got to figure out how to fly up to a limb... but if you never try you'll never find out.

thanks
gary

I suppose if he tries to mate with one of the mowers or 4 wheelers you'll know it's loneliness.
gig.gif
Do you have any other birds of any kind?

I have never had any roost on the ground, with the exception of babies or sitting/mama hens. Too many predators, you are right to worry for him.

My India blue boy roosts on my ack porch deck rail, unless it's raining, then he prefers the sheltered front porch railing! :). My white boy roosts way up in a cottonwood in the warm weather, he is still experimenting with his favorite perch.

Back
Top Bottom