Free ranging unprotected all day - do you do it?

I let mine out all day, even if im not home. My ducks and chickens could easily get eaten by predators or get runover by a car if they get too close to the road. We have lots of foxes, coyotes, weasels, and other critters around here, but my animals are fine.

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
Amen, brother!
old.gif

x3. The coop at the bay has an automatic door; opens at dawn and closes at dark. They are so calm and happy. We have lost some, but I wouldn't do it differently.​

First let me say I'm home all day but when I'm in the house I can't really hear whats going on out side. They free range all day but rarely leave the barn untill dusk because it's just too hot. The only wild animals around are boars,deer and turtles. Oh I have 4 horses and they keep most preditors away. The stallion is in a large paddock in the front of the barn. The 3 mares have the run of the 3 acres in the back with an ajoining paddock in the back of the barn. So far the only problem I've had is when I forgot to close the run gate and one of the mares got into the chickens stall and ate all the chicken feed. Won't do that again.

One other thing I feel is important when considering free ranging is to introduce them to it as young as possible. A chicken that's grown up free ranging learns early about heading for cover, staying under cover during times that an predator attack is more likely, and good communication within the flock that can save their lives.
My eight week old chicks are already following the baby roo around and taking their cues from him. When they leave our yard (that is full of cover in the form of large trees) at all it's to make a mad dash across the driveway and under the tractor. One "word" from their fearless leader and they are all back in the yard again.

Last edited:
We free range all day every day. If we are home or not. We patrol the area if predators are spotted before letting them out. They are locked down tight at night. We have lots of great cover, and they learn quick to use it.

I am OK with loosing a couple birds once in a while to day time predators. I am not fine with loosing the entire flock to a predator that gets in the coop or a large poorly secured run.

ON

My less that week old chicks are out with their Mamma, and yesterday she did not like something, her cluck changed, and instantly noisy, peeping, moving chicks melted away, were still and silent. There was a pause, then she relaxed, and changed her cluck again, and ground was alive.

So I do think early exposure is good, does increase the risk, but ..... they are so clean, happy and healthy.

Mrs.K

We let ours out in the morning and lock them in after they go to bed but I would not say that they are un-protected. The roo does a wonderful job of protecting them. Have not lost one yet.
wink.png

We have three pet hens, and what started out as letting them out a few times a week for a few hours has turned into them having to be let out all day, every day, or they "scream" in their coop and run. Since I live in a small city, the noise was too much. They are happy and healthy, and it is the cutest thing the way they follow our family all around the yard, but I do fear one day something will come and possibly get all three of them, since there are only three to get, and we have no rooster or dogs outside.

In our favor, we have lots of natural prey--wild rabbits and rodents, lots of songbirds, etc. There are also much better, more open areas for hunting then my heavily treed and shrubbed yard. We also have tons of crows who live in our yard, and I do believe that has kept the hawks away.

Our next chickens will not be allowed to free range in this way, as it is stressful regarding their safety and requires someone to let them out and lock them up on our vacations (we have an automatic coop door, so if they were just in the run this wouldn't be a problem). I have long planned to build a tractor or pen or something and that will be a way for them to get some forage time in safety. But, it is pretty neat when they come sit on your lap, or hang out with the kids by the sandbox or swing.

Well I have a hybrid system. I'm in a small rural subdivision (seven five acre lots). I have a 6 by 12 coop for 12 hens with a completely predator proof run about 5 by 14. The small poop door from the coop to the run is always open so they can go out any time and do so early in the morning before I'm even up. Then they have a 35' by 70' large fenced yard I let them out in late morning until I put them in coop just before dusk. The yard fence will discourage neighbor dogs etc but of course is not really predator proof and I'd never leave them out there at night. But it's plenty of room for exercise and large enough to support grass, weeds etc despite their scratching around. To discourage hawks I have run crime scene tape back and forth in a criss cross pattern from the tops of the fence posts so it makes a sort of loose roof about 4' off ground. This has been working so far, but of course it's probably not entirely foolproof. Nothing is other than shutting them up all the time and I also would rather have chickens live an active, healthy life even if it involves some risk.

Back
Top Bottom