Free "rare" mystery chick? UPDATE: New Pictures!

Anna_MN

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Princeton, MN
I'm getting my chicks in exactly one month from McMurray and they are sending a free "rare" mystery chick with my order. I was curious- for those who got a free "rare" chick, was it a hen or a rooster? I'm assuming that it will be a rooster since it's free. I really didn't want to buy a rooster, so i'm hoping this little chicky will be! Just curious as to what my odds are...

Also wondering- those who have ordered from McMurray, have you ever been sent "packing peanut" chicks? (a few little extras to keep the others warm)

Last edited:
I love McMurray Hatcheries! They've always been very pleasant to deal with. My first free chick was a roo white polish. I've had several different kinds. Please don't expect all 25 to be hens! You'll be extremely lucky if they are!!! No one's perfect!!

Good luck!
Shanon

Last edited:
Along with a friend, I ordered 25 Araucana/Americana straight run chicks from Murray McMurray last year about this time. We were never able to determine which chick was the "free rare chick". They were such a hodge podge of colors that no one chick stood out as being different. I picked the 13 I wanted and he took the rest. Sorry not much help I know. No packing peanuts in a 25 chick order.

In all the orders we've had from McM, the "free rare chick" was always a rooster. We also had one shipment of chicks with packing peanuts. It was for a February delivery and along with the 25 chicks that we ordered, they threw in 10 white Leghorn roosters. Once they hit 4 months old or started crowing, they were dinner. Scrawny, but tasty.

I my order of 30 chicks I did not get any packing peanuts. My free chick was a too. He attacked my wife so we cooked him for supper.

ETA: I did get an extra RIR which was a roo and 2 of my 10 sexed barred rocks were roos also.

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.png
I am hoping the chicks I am getting sexed will mostly be hens....otherwise it would defeat the purpose. Most are sex link so it would be a very dumb move on their part if I got a roo instead
lol.png
I would LOVE to get packing peanut roosters for soup. Yum! Keep the replies rolling, please!

My free rare chick was a silver spangled hamburg rooster. Hes absolutely gorgeous (lives with my neighbor who split the order with me). As far as sexing, McMurray was 100% correct in that department. Between myself and my friend that split the order, we had ordered 6 straight run chicks. Only one of those ended up being a rooster (they were supposed to be blue though, we got 5 blacks and 1 splash). They also threw 3 jersey giant pullets in for free. We didn't get any packing peanuts since we ordered at the end of april and ordered more than 25 chicks. I've only ordered from them once, and was very pleased. The only reason I didn't order from them this year is because of their 25 chick minimum. Good luck!

It's very interesting to see how different the mystery chicks are. I'm really excited to see what mine is! I am ordering a bunch of different breeds so trying to figure out what they are when they're babies is going to be interesting but it should be fun. Anyone else get a mystery chick?

I am also getting a mystery chick! Along with the ornamental layers so they will all be a bit of a mystery! These will be my first chickens.. they are due to get here 1/29 - 2/1! I am soooo excited! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom