Free Rooster in SW VA In Need of a New Home

Sbfitzge

Chirping
Apr 11, 2018
Roanoke, VA
6 month old Barred Rock in need of a new home. When we adopted 4 hatch-lings, we were expecting 4 hens. One turned out to be a rooster, and I tried reaching out to the store we purchased them from to see what they do in these situations and the employee made it sound like this has NEVER happened before and had absolutely no protocol in place. That being said, we decided to give raising a rooster a shot. Things started out fine until he got to mating age in July. He's become more and more difficult to be around. I'm 7 months pregnant, and cannot tend to them because he's constantly after people. Again, we didn't anticipate raising a rooster and it's just not working out with him. We think he would do better with a larger flock of hens. He tends to be more aggressive in the morning after coming out of the coop, and is much better later in the day. We're desperate to re-home him. I would hope to help find a new home for him, but any advice would be great. My husband and I live in Roanoke, Virginia. Thanks in advance.
image1 (2).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image3.jpeg

Try Craigslist? I usually say 'Free Rooster to Good Home or Meal '. Some people like them for tick control.
Sorry that this rooster gives you trouble. I've had good roosters and I've had bad. I had a BR rooster named Prairie, once, and he was good. I got a bantam rooster rate now that attacks anything that moves near his hens. He don't hurt, though, he has no spurs.

We listed him on Craigslist, and had someone who was interested in taking him but backed out last minute. The ad is still up, so hopefully someone else will take an interest. We tried our best to handle all of them as much as possible when they were young to get them used to our hands and being around us, and hopefully encouraging them to like/trust us. It seemed to work for a while.

We listed him on Craigslist, and had someone who was interested in taking him but backed out last minute. The ad is still up, so hopefully someone else will take an interest. We tried our best to handle all of them as much as possible when they were young to get them used to our hands and being around us, and hopefully encouraging them to like/trust us. It seemed to work for a while.
Is this rooster still available and if so where are you located

Back
Top Bottom