Free supplies have me losing my mind

Elmochook

Songster
Nov 21, 2017
Central/east TX
So i have been scouring craigslist everyday looking for a long dresser i can turn into a brooder in my carport. (12 chicks are unimaginably stinky) but i came across a piano... Lol can i turn a piano into a brooder box some how??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-13-07-59-40.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-13-07-59-40.png
    511.1 KB · Views: 15
Why not? You could play music so the chicks can fall asleep:love
As I always say, anything can be a chicken coop!
I would just make sure it's clean and there's nothing that could hurt them inside there. And make sure it's big enough!
I'm dying to see your plans for how it'll work!

If you have a way to move it, go for it! Pianos are heavy. I gave one away about 3 years ago and you'd be surprised at the number of folks that contacted me asking if it was something they could lift and place in the back of their SUV.
Ohhh i know. Thats truth! My trailer is full of tiny house supplies so no pianos for me this season i guess...

No on the piano, unless the guts are gone. That is the heavy part ;)

I think the dresser would be a better bet.
Also look for Long Pallets or Storage pallets.
Using a piano is not worth the trouble. I've had several over the years, including this 1,400 pound beast that I now have...
Baldwin Concert Grand-04.jpg

What I did was buy 3 sheets of plywood (cut to 6-ft), some hinges and hardware cloth and came up with this with 2 top doors and 2 tilt-out front doors. It is 4-ft x 6-ft by 2-ft high.
Brooder04.JPG

Brooder05.JPG

The left over 2-ft pieces provided the side walls and all I needed was a cordless drill for the screws and a jig saw to cut out all the openings for screened-in ventilation with hardware cloth. Of course, those were stapled and reinforced with some screws and washers.

I will also put casters on the left end so that it can be tilted up on end and rolled against a wall when not in use.

Last edited:
No on the piano, unless the guts are gone. That is the heavy part ;)

I think the dresser would be a better bet.
Also look for Long Pallets or Storage pallets.
It took six strong men just to move my upright down about six steps just to get it into the basement for my practice purposes.

And, even if you remove the guts, you still have a narrow space for the chicks to romp around. There are tons of pressure on that metal (harp) in the piano, so you have to be careful dealing with that.

What I would do is go to the Thrift Store and buy a book case, remove the shelving, lay it down flat and put a screen over it to keep the little buggers from flying out. They're probably 36" wide and 6'ft tall. Then again, they may only be about 12-14" deep, so may not be high enough, but it should hold them for a while until they're ready to go out to the coop.

Last edited:
It took six strong men just to move my upright down about six steps just to get it into the basement for my practice purposes.

And, even if you remove the guts, you still have a narrow space for the chicks to romp around. There are tons of pressure on that metal (harp) in the piano, so you have to be careful dealing with that.

What I would do is go to the Thrift Store and buy a book case, remove the shelving and put a screen over it to keep the little buggers from flying out. They're probably 36" wide and 6'ft tall. Then again, they may only be about 12-14" deep, so may not be high enough. Lay it down flat and That should hold them for a while until they're ready to go out to the coop.
Oh i never ended up having a vehicle for a piano brooder lol. And i agree it would be too small and tricky. I ended up gettong a 45 gallon Christmas tote on discount for like 10$ thats perfect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom