Freedom! My chickens excellent adventure out of the coup

TominWa

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Montesano Wa.
My Coop
My Coop
I've read all the posts and horror stories. I built the fortress that no beast could enter nor chicken escape. A great place with a good 20 sq ft per bird. Not a prison of horror, like those torture chamber pre fab feed store units....but that is another story.

The coup has worked well this first six months and I have been an excellent jailer.

Until today. I let them out.
img_2104.jpg

My girls are six months old and have never set foot into the world. I didn't know what would happen.

It was about 10 this morning when I tentatively opened the gate and stood back. It took less than a minute and they were at my feet and doing their chicken thing. Like it was nothing and more importantly...no big deal. Frankly I was expecting more of an exaggerated chicken dance or something. Maybe to some cartoon classical music or something. Well, that was the picture in my mind anyway.

Nothing, just regular old chicken behavior.

They foraged here....and foraged there. Several went into the coup to lay their eggs. A couple to just sit up on the run perch as they are wont to do in the afternoon. They took naps with the cat on the back porch......and climbed all over the dog. A big lab BTW who almost took a couple of their heads off as three day old chicks. Now....eh....no big deal. Just something else to have to watch and protect.
img_2101.jpg

Now I have a pretty big back yard, maybe 200x80 feet. Nothing huge....but adequate for 7 hens to strut around in. The walls consist of hedges and some fencing, nothing over 4 feet tall. Easily jumped over.

Nothing. They didn't even try. They were more interested in the wife's garden and held a digging and dust bath party. Even the cat joined in. Although, she likes to dig in the garden for an entirely different reason. No matter, all were welcome.
fullsizerender.jpg

Going forward I will probably restrict their yard time to afternoons into dusk and roosting time. Just to keep it safer. It seemed that all they wanted to do was hang around us, the cats, and the dog all day. Two almost made it into the kitchen on the other side of the house and I am sure one of the Buff Orpington hens was eying the activity of the doggie door.

Every situation is different, but it just wasn't that big a deal that I keep reading about. Inside or outside the coup and run proper....they feel home.

Last edited:
:D Awesome photos. I have lost two in a year from letting them range. A hawk and a car. I still am doing it but learning new things to minimise risk all the time. But even with the occasional loss being likely i just can't bare to lock them up all the time when i see how in their element they are on my land.

:D Awesome photos. I have lost two in a year from letting them range. A hawk and a car. I still am doing it but learning new things to minimise risk all the time. But even with the occasional loss being likely i just can't bare to lock them up all the time when i see how in their element they are on my land.

Same thing here. I don't have a predator problem here, (that I know of) but nothing is safe.

DAY 3: well my little experiment is going well. No issues at all. They all are up much earlier now letting me know i should let them out. I pretend not to see them. That worked for a little while until they figured out what I was up to.

Basically they are like a herd of locusts all day. No bug is safe in that yard. They have taken over the little back steps coming off one of my doors. They don't move for people, cats or dogs. It is theirs now. Pecking order determines which step is occupied by who of course.
day3.jpg

If you go outside you have chicken followers now, including the dog who doesn't much like the company when he is doing his potty thing but he tolerates it.

Foraging all morning followed by egg laying. Afternoons involved an extended group dust bathings and sunning themselves. My yard is now a chicken day spa.

Come dusk, they one by one single file back into the coup.

All in all.....no issues to speak of. I am somewhat amazed they don't seem interested is leaving the yard.

Loved reading your post and it fits my experience to a tee. I was so apprehensive about letting them "free". I worried and worried.....will they fly away, will they run and hide never to return? But much to my surprise they did exactly as yours did. It's a wonderful thing to watch isn't it. Thanks for sharing

Loved reading your post and it fits my experience to a tee. I was so apprehensive about letting them "free". I worried and worried.....will they fly away, will they run and hide never to return? But much to my surprise they did exactly as yours did. It's a wonderful thing to watch isn't it. Thanks for sharing

Like everyone new to this.....I read and read and read. The horror stories stick with you. Every situation is different, every yard. Like you, I am somewhat amazed that they just don't seem interested is jumping any fences. I have two sides that border an overgrown jungle going back acres with a stream down there.....nothing, not interested. They seem more interested in staking out the back porch and interacting with all of us, cats and dogs included. The cats lay out in the sun with them.

I think a lot of it has to to with how they are raised, although Im not chicken smart enough to know for sure. They were all hand raised and I spend time with them. So they have a six month history of human interaction and think of the coup as home.

Fingers crossed but am very happy with the results so far. And you are right, talk about adding life to the old back yard......

Me too. The horror stories of raccoons, hawks, foxes etc are the stuff that nightmares are made of. When I get home from work they start carrying on til I let them out. There's no turning back now....they are hooked. I'm also amazed at how my dog tolerates them and how my cats respect them. (actually I think it's fear but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt). Like you I have spent a lot of time with them in the 5 months I've had them and they are now part of my nightly entertainment. The TV is gathering dust as I'd rather watch my chickens and dog and cats all hanging out together.

I've had the same experience. I just got mine 2 weeks a go and asked if I should clip their wings and most people said not to worry about it and they were right! They've shown no interest in leaving the yard. I live in a residential neighborhood and did see a hawk, though, so I bought some bird netting and am going to make a movable chicken wire area with netting on top so I don't have to be out there with them every second. The hawk sighting freaked me out and my girls do not seem predator savvy at all, they were clueless and never look up.

We actually took the TV outside this past weekend. :) Best of both worlds.

Redneck living room.
21167676_10210025996946791_2171579562945928715_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom